Heavier strings affecting action?

What's Hot
relic245relic245 Frets: 982
My tele was set up for 9's and last night I fitted a set of 10's and now the action seems to be higher.

At first I thought I was imagining it but perhaps it makes sense. Could more tension bend the neck more?

The saddles are already low so can't do anything there. I'm guessing that the neck relief may be the first thing to look at. Am I along the right lines?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    you're exactly right, if you change string gauge and keep the same tuning, you  will need to tweak the truss rod
    Usually it's just 1/8 of a turn to 1/4 of a turn. If you get carried away and turn it  1 or 2 turns you can damage the guitar

typically, the  nut works the conventional way,  and you tighten it clockwise to  counteract more tension in the strings
    I think you are recommended to  loosen the strings first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16951
    That's what truss rods are for.  Nothing to be scared off.  Truss rods only break when You force a seized rod, or you use the wrong tool.

loosen slightly before tightening to make sure it's not seized.  You can slacken strings first as an extra precaution.  I only do this when adjusting an old rod.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 982
    Thanks!

All sorted now and playing very well :)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31147
    edited October 2016
    You also might need to check the nut- if it's cut only for 9 - 42  some of the bottom strings may be not quite in the groove- if it's a strat getting the nut right is key to keeping the thing in tune when using the trem and even if they look like they're sat in the grooves they may have too much friction on them to stay in tune when bombing and stuff.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Action can rise slightly going-up-a-gauge due to strings not sitting in grooves of nut the same
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31147
    Action can rise slightly going-up-a-gauge due to strings not sitting in grooves of nut the same
    Cleartone Conversion guitars offer a universal gauge nut...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.