*SOLVED* *Pics Added* Esquire wiring - help me out please!!

What's Hot
jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 799
edited October 2016 in Making & Modding
Hi all

I've decided recently to change my tele partscaster into an esquire. I got a pickguard, removed the neck humbucker and gave it a go with simple wiring (no switch) - was a real revelation, enjoyed playing that one pickup much more, working the controls and removing a pickup truly did make it ring out more! Honourable mention to Marc at Mojo as his Esquire pickup is quite possibly he best bridge pickup I've ever played.

So happy with all that, I started looking at wiring and after some browsing, decided I wanted something very specific. But I can't for the life of me make the circuit work after many, many attempts - there's always an issue with a route to ground I can't eliminate! Here's what I'm after:

Position 1: standard esquire volume with tone removed for bright twang. 

Position 2: standard esquire/tele with both volume and tone controls

Position 3: full volume (via fixed resistor) and tone control so that I can switch to full volume. This is something o do with offsets and Gibsons as a quieter, more mellow neck tone to a harder aggressive bridge tone is the main way I use different pickups, so I thought this would approximate that nicely. 

Can anyone help??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Actually, can I just switch the output between lugs 2&3 on my volume pot? I'd need to ground lug 3 when using lug 2 to output though right? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    There's a scheme for this but with the settings in a different order - 1 (towards neck): both controls, 2: volume only, 3 (towards bridge): full volume straight to jack.

photo wireesquiredirect-1jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for this @ICBM I've just wired it up and it works as advertised with the exception that the volume is still in when using the third position, although it is a tad louder and the taper is different. Any thoughts?
    Ah… damn. I've just looked more closely at that and the diagram is wrong.

I can't find the right one, but you can probably work it out if I describe how it should be wired.

On one side of the switch the connections should be - rotor: output jack. Position 1 and 2 - volume control terminal 2. Position 3 - volume control terminal 3, which is also connected to the pickup hot and the other switch rotor. Other switch side - rotor: pickup hot/volume control terminal 3. Position 1 - tone control. Positions 2 and 3 - no connection.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks for that...I'll get the sketch pad out!!
  • Think I've figured it out except I think your description is missing a connection between the two position 3s on the switch otherwise it won't go to the output??
  • Also, am I correct in thinking the tone control won't be working besides the first position?
    Think I've figured it out except I think your description is missing a connection between the two position 3s on the switch otherwise it won't go to the output??
    No, in position 3 the jack is connected to the volume pot terminal 3 and the pickup hot which are both connected to switch terminal 3 on that side. You don't need another connection.

Also, am I correct in thinking the tone control won't be working besides the first position?
    Yes. Ah… I forgot you wanted positions 1 and 2 the other way round and tone in 3. Just connect the tone control to terminals 2 and 3 instead.

Basically switch pole 1 is the volume pot selector and pole 2 is the tone pot selector, you can have any of the combinations in any position.

• Got it working!! My switch is an absolute mess but all holding together and sounding awesome. Cheers dude! Gratuitous pictures coming soon...
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 799
    edited October 2016