Baritone recommendations?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    domforr said:
    So, back on this subject. I have an old rather unused Cort jumbo acoustic. Is it possible to use this as a Baritone by simply adding on a baritone set of strings, low tuning and having it set up properly. It would be nice to get some use out of the guitar, but maybe it would just be a 'virtual' baritone mimicking the real thing? Neck length seems to be important and I'm not sure off hand what mine is, so I'll need to check this.
    Just don't  insist on going to A-A or B-B, find the lowest the guitar wants to go whilst sounding OK
    With normal scale length and 16-70 strings, it might be C-C

play with this tool to find which strings get you to the same tension on the neck as your normal set
    http://vinic.free.fr/strings/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 333
    Thanks, that's handy. Looks like the closest in a C-C drop tuning with a 25.3 inch neck are the 14-70 strings. Still a difference in tension though. Normal tension is 146.1834 and with the baritone strings and tuned to C-C it's 151.4482. Would that be ok tension wise?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    edited October 2016
    domforr said:
    Thanks, that's handy. Looks like the closest in a C-C drop tuning with a 25.3 inch neck are the 14-70 strings. Still a difference in tension though. Normal tension is 146.1834 and with the baritone strings and tuned to C-C it's 151.4482. Would that be ok tension wise?
    very little difference, maybe a small tweak to the truss rod. Check the difference between 11s and 12s in a normal tuning, I bet it's the same or a little bit more
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks mate - very helpful.
  • Alvarez no good then? ;)
    Sorry, should have got back to you on this. I've converted my old Cort Jumbo into a sort of baritone and it seems to be doing the job for the moment. Thanks for the offer though.
  • stickersticker Frets: 888
    Alvarez no good then? ;)

@EreforGuitarGear I'd be interested in seeing some pics & details etc. are you going to put up an ad for it ?
  • Hey @sticker I can send you some pics... PM me your email address and I'll send you some inc a link to the blurb on the ABT-60e