PayPal and fees

What's Hot
Hi all ... I'm newish on here and am thinking of selling some bits and pieces through the classifieds...As a first time seller and no one knows me would I be better to ask for Payment via paypal goods and services by which the buyer is protected and I pay the fees as the seller . Ive Seen that admin seems to advise this method rather than PPGift. I notice that a lot of people selling ask for PPG form of payment  .... Any advice from you experienced users appreciated ... Cheers Pete
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Honestly, it's entirely up to any negotiation between you and the buyer. Generally, the etiquette is for the buyer to decide whether to either use PPG or pay the fees themselves for their own peace of mind.

I've not come across any situation on here where the seller pays the fees, but if you want to offer it then more power to you. It's certainly not the norm, though.
    <space for hire>
  • I have had no issues buying or selling via this forum. Everybody here seems honest and legit. While most sales appear to be via PPG, some people prefer to pay via legit PayPal methods with fees etc. Some sellers offer buyers to pay either way if that helps.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5187
    edited October 2016
    Hi Pete 
    just make sure that you're protected if you take PayPal via Goods and Services. Send via a trackable service only or else if someone claims it hasn't arrived PayPal will refund the buyer and you're left with no item and no money.
    When I started on here I bought a few things first, building up some decent 'Feedback' (see feedback thread) 
    People will then get to know you're trustworthy..
    There has been some Scammers operating in the not so distant past so people are rightfully cautious.
    Just get involved in other conversations/threads and not just in Classifieds, Post in the introduce yourself thread and post some pics of your gear etc..Oh yeah Welcome to the Forum  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pumkinpumkin Frets: 136
    Ok , I see ..  I Thought the person receiving the payment automatically paid the fees ... And as a first time seller would be seen as earning some trust ... 
    @tone1 Cheers.. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8032
    Sold lots of stuff here. Bought lots of stuff too. 
    Never been asked to pay anything other than PPG, and never requested anyone pay anything other than PPG. 

@TheMarlin Sounds healthy   
    Thanks @pintspiller ;
    That's helpful ...
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    PPG gives someone the option to rip you off. I'd only buy via that if an item was relatively cheap. Personally I think that fees should be split 50/50, why should the buyer foot the bill?
  • axisus said:
    PPG gives someone the option to rip you off. I'd only buy via that if an item was relatively cheap. Personally I think that fees should be split 50/50, why should the buyer foot the bill?
    Because it disproportionately benefits the buyer at the seller's expense.

Note that this is my personal opinion, and nothing to do with me being an admin here.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24676
    People I've dealt with before = PPG

People I haven't = Fully protected and I'll pay the extra 4% or so as I view it as a simple insurance policy.

Something over £1000 = get in the car and go and get it.
  • When I buy I offer to pay the fees.  I wouldn't expect the seller to pay the fees.

This site calculates how much you need to send for the seller to receive the agreed price - http://www.clothnappytree.com/ppcalculator/
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Seller should pay the fee but an adjust the price of the item accordingly, to take them into account.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    For something expensive I'd offer to split the fees 50/50. Can't get fairer than that.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

When I'm selling something, I usually offer a range of payment methods. Bank transfer is best, but I would also accept cash, and Paypal.

The offered or negotiated price is net, so if the buyer chooses to use Paypal, he or she is liable for the fees. I'd prefer not to use Paypal, so it's for the buyer's convenience, ergo, they pay the fees.