Nitro-friendly stands?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Jack_ said:
    fandango said:
    Happy with the first few months of using a Boing stand, which has a slightly tacky silicone coating.  Suits my need for side-entry beside a chair.

Fairly sure there was more about finish friendliness  on the web when I bought it. Marketed for cello too.

What are the special needs of nitrocellulose?
    After purchasing a Hercules GS414B a while back, I was worried about the foam-nitro issue. I had a 'sheet' of thinnish black leather lying around from another project. I made 'templates' with paper for the lower sections to fit around the folding mechanisms. Then cut the leather. Fixed velcro to the leather to ensure the leather stays in place. For the neck 'grab', again cut leather carefully to the right size and used velcro. Voila. No guitar nitro to rubber/foam contact. And the leather is fairly non slip. There's also no need to remove the leather when folded up as it's cut/fitted to avoid fouling the folding sections. You hardly notice it.

No leather? Then why not try black denim? black cotton? lycra?
    Ideally I want something off the shelf, I don't want to be sewing leather etc.
    Quite alright if you wish to avoid the hassle, but i got someone else to do the difficult bits. You married? Nothing ventured, nothing gained
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1679
    Hercules stands are good for nitro finish guitars. I have kept my Custom shop Gibsons on them forever without issues. My Terry Morgan Replica '59 sits on one all day and there are no problems either.
  • Cotton hankies/rags/cloths FTW

alternatively, marry someone who loves sewing and get her to make socks for your stands. 
    noway? lol 
    I used to mess about with all that.
    but the gear4 stands seems ok
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    As has been said - Hercules stands won't harm nitro. You have a forum full of people who have been your guinea pigs resting their priceless nitro finished guitars on them for years with no ill effects. No need for felt. Or black leather - why waste a good pair of pants! :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Gagaryn said:
    As has been said - Hercules stands won't harm nitro. You have a forum full of people who have been your guinea pigs resting their priceless nitro finished guitars on them for years with no ill effects. No need for felt. Or black leather - why waste a good pair of pants! :-)
    In the immortal words of Homer Simpson: "TWO good pairs of pants".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    edited October 2016
    Sassafras said:
    Gagaryn said:
    In the immortal words of Homer Simpson: "TWO good pairs of pants".
    or "Doh!" :-)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Any old stand, and old t-shirt cut into strips and some elastic bands. Job done.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I've used Konig wall hangers for years and never had a problem with nitro finish. I assume the stands are made of the same stuff.