You must be joking

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I'm waiting for their modern take on a Gretsch ... Gentleman's Relish and the saucier Country Gentleman's Relish ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is it inflatable?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    I guess the whole pushing boundaries is a good thing, ok, you might end up with a lemon if you introduce too many new things at once but if you pick one thing that is good from several designs then you might just get something decent.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    I agree with impmann... there seem to be a lot of solutions looking for problems in it, all to produce something which is somewhere between ordinary and a bit ugly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    Image result for Flat Wooden Spatula

Reminds me of a wooden spatula.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1649
    I think the new one looks far better without the carve, the shape might just be acceptable if it was completely flat, but there are ways to get ergonomics without the guitar looking so fat.
  • derndern Frets: 357
    I quite like the red one.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3827
    Isn't it a bit Campbell? Not the soup, the American maker. Especially with the detail of the headstock outline aping the outline of the horns, as on the Campbell Transitone.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 765
    I think that developers must in fact push for new designs and features but with a purpose and always keeping in mind that we guitarists are a bunch of traditionalists in what regards design.

So, what I would like to see in a new upmarket guitar is the following:

- Updated conventional design (a la PRS but a bit more modern perhaps and without the ridiculous bling);

- Solderless connections: guitars could even come with different flavoured easy to swap pickups;

- No plastics: you pay thousands of ££ and then you get cheap, fragile PU plastic rings! All plastics, PU covers and hardware should be the same noble material such as shaved aluminium;

- No screws: no screws to access the electronics, the truss rod, to swap PU's, etc. Just good quality made to last clamps;

- Ergonomy: easy access to the higher frets, rolled body and fretboard edges, etc;

- No plastic binding: it looks good in a 1959 LP but not in a modern guitar. In fact, Gibson came to that conclusion in 1960 with the SG, it even allowed for a curvier, more comfortable body;

- Compensated nuts for intonation accuracy.

____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8628
    @fnpt interesting one regrading screws. I've always though it quite odd that on an electric guitar exposed screws are pretty much par for the course.

Try finding an exposed screw head anywhere within your cars interior, or on anything but the cheapest flat-pack furniture, it's a complete design no-no - yet they are everywhere on a quality electric instrument.

regarding plastics though, I think it's as noble a material as any, if the quality is good (which often it isn't).
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Interesting regarding the screw thing...

From a production standpoint screws are expensive - because where ever you see a screw there is a person needed to install it. People are expensive. That is why cheap things tend to have clip together or glued together casings...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    fnpt said:

So, what I would like to see in a new upmarket guitar is the following:

- Updated conventional design (a la PRS but a bit more modern perhaps and without the ridiculous bling)
    I'd go along with that.

fnpt said:

- Solderless connections: guitars could even come with different flavoured easy to swap pickups
    No, they're less reliable than soldered connections, especially in the long term where the connectors might not get moved for years.

fnpt said:

- No plastics: you pay thousands of ££ and then you get cheap, fragile PU plastic rings! All plastics, PU covers and hardware should be the same noble material such as shaved aluminium
    Maybe. Although I quite like the aesthetic of most plastic parts, and I'm less sure about metal. It would also make the guitar heavier.

fnpt said:

- No screws: no screws to access the electronics, the truss rod, to swap PU's, etc. Just good quality made to last clamps
    You mean those nasty plastic clips which break, meaning that you have to replace the cover with a unique one which you can't get any more?

fnpt said:

- Ergonomy: easy access to the higher frets, rolled body and fretboard edges, etc;

- No plastic binding: it looks good in a 1959 LP but not in a modern guitar. In fact, Gibson came to that conclusion in 1960 with the SG, it even allowed for a curvier, more comfortable body
    Agreed with both those. What I really don't understand is why plastic binding is still apparently preferred to the PRS 'faux' binding, which is much nicer if you want that outline look.

fnpt said:

- Compensated nuts for intonation accuracy.
    Not really necessary if a conventional nut is fitted and cut really well.

I'm all for change where it actually improves things - just less sure about it when it doesn't really, or causes long-term reliability or replacement problems.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8628
    impmann said:
    Interesting regarding the screw thing...

From a production standpoint screws are expensive - because where ever you see a screw there is a person needed to install it. People are expensive. That is why cheap things tend to have clip together or glued together casings...
    My point was more that car interiors have screws and so does a lot of furniture, but they go to lengths to hide them for an aesthetic point of view. That's not the case for guitars.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Unless it sounded like the beast played by Hendrix I'd not be seen dead with it. Does it sound better than a Srat, Tele, Les Paul or 335? Doubt it. Would it make you look like a moron. Yup. 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1649
    Evilmags said:
    Unless it made me as talented as Hendrix I'd not be seen dead with it. Does it sound better than a Srat, Tele, Les Paul or 335? Doubt it. Would it make you look like a moron. Yup. 
    FTFY, tone comes from the fingers.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25043
    Evilmags said:
    Would it make you look like a moron. Yup. 
    The people in the ads on their website look like Swiss hipsters.  Which is kind of what I'd expect.

Although bizarrely Phil Campbell from Motorhead has one.  Mind you, he has a lot of ugly guitars.