CS Strat ruined?

What's Hot
fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5108
edited October 2016 in Guitar
You might disagree but I can't believe what's been done to this beautiful CS Strat. To think that someone actually paid money to have the headstock painted and thereby ruin and devalue their Hank-o-caster! IMO of course and ymmv etc...

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/fender-usa-custom-shop-1956-relic-stratocaster-with-flame-maple-neck-and-gold-hardware-made-in-2000/1193422548

260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14762
    tFB Trader
    I sell a lot of 56 based CS Strats to Hank customers and they all want NOS shiny gloss not aged relic - that headstock just looks 'orrible - doesn't look the nicest CS Strat does it - not sure who its going to appeal to and a refin as well
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33962
    Well, I wouldn't buy it.
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 667
    The relicing hasn't spoilt the guitar. The gold hardware and matching headstock on the other hand are just horrible.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14762
    tFB Trader
    SidNewton said:
    The relicing hasn't spoilt the guitar. The gold hardware and matching headstock on the other hand are just horrible.
    I think it is the MHS that looks worse - Gold on a fiesta red Strat is institutionalized amongst Hank fans so I accept that and aged on a white blonde always look okay - But MHS and the anodized plate just look wrong

MHS on 60's cool coloured Jazz and jags ok
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited October 2016
    I sell a lot of 56 based CS Strats to Hank customers and they all want NOS shiny gloss not aged relic - that headstock just looks 'orrible - doesn't look the nicest CS Strat does it - not sure who its going to appeal to and a refin as well
    Funnily enough someone I knew well who used be in MI retail said pretty much exactly the same thing to me about Hank Marvin fans - a mint Fiesta Red CS 56 Strat and they'll snatch your hand off. Anything less than perfect - forget it.

Don't get where the seller got his inspiration from - anodised guards were never fitted to Fiesta Red guitars, as far as I know - and matching headstocks were only available in the '60s iirc.

I agree it looks awful....
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Yep ruined 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23595
    edited October 2016
    From the comments I was expecting a real monstrosity, but I don't think it looks awful.

Gold hardware only works on some Strats, but it looks OK here and is suitably Hank-ish, I think.  The anodised scratchplate I'm not keen on but it's easily replaced.  As for the matching headstock, normally I'm a fan but only with rosewood boards on 60s style Strats... however in this colour, in combination with the gold parts and the tinted maple, it really doesn't look bad at all, IMO.  I think the colours blend quite well.

Maybe it's because it reminds me of "The Strat" from 1980, not a well-regarded guitar but I remember admiring one in a shop window when I was a kid.

Actually I think the most jarring colour clash here is the dirty yellowed knobs against the white pickup covers.

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3962
    The Huggy Bear of strats!

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4305
    I think a relic job a bit more like this one I just spotted on ebay would have been perfect:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Roadworn-Stratocaster-MIM-/201688881596?hash=item2ef59819bc:g:70YAAOSwCGVX~i4j
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It makes me laugh. He messes about with it n then he is still asking strong money for it. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4379
    It's not the monstrosity I expected from the comments. Relicing doesn't really suit such a blingy guitar as far as I'm concerned. 

Personally i'd id be more bothered by the gold appointments and the coloured headstock. Oh, and the maple board. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5108
    I like relics and I think a Fiesta Red maple board Strat suits gold hardware, a la Hank, but having the headstock painted - epic fail!
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Who's Hank Marvin?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Sassafras said:
    Who's Hank Marvin?
    That bloke who's always hungry....
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    The whole thing just looks horrific. I'm glad I'm only viewing it on a phone, instead of my computer monitor.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.