Is there a thread about this? There should be a thread about this... WARNING: Les Paul Sacrilege

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    ^So i can avoid them easier?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    I like it.  The gold knobs look perfect to my old eyes.  A bit of a rarity from Gibson.  It looks well made!
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited October 2016
    Isn't there a prs with a slightly similar paint job?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    ICBM said:
    I can't decide if I like it, but I definitely don't hate it.
    Agreed. I can't imagine buying it myself, but if someone else owned one I could imagine saying, "That's pretty cool" and genuinely meaning it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    I quite like it. Is it Gibson made or customised?
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    monofin said:
    monofin said:
    Gibson Custom Shop from the GAK website - Circa about £4.5K I believe
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30136
    I loke that. Not in a want-to-own it way, but it is jolly, and the world has enough dullburst and brown guitars.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11717
    edited October 2016
    usedtobe said:
    The Al Di Meola signature:

It was introduced in 2008.  No longer listed on the PRS website.  Not sure when it was discontinued.  I think @hubobulous might have had one at a gearfest thing.

Maybe PRS should sue Gibson ;)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25003
    What's interesting is that PRS do this kind of thing routinely - without criticism - but Gibson can't.

This clearly shows how different their markets are. Paul Smith acknowledges the lack of historic recordings featuring PRS guitars limits their popularity - but as soon as Gibson make a Les Paul that doesn't look like Jimmy Page's, that's a problem too....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30136
    I don't like that PRS as much.

Also the Gibbo would be better with everything chrome.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 660
    I quite like that, but not enough to break the self i.posed used guitars only rule
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    crunchman said:
    usedtobe said:

It was introduced in 2008.  No longer listed on the PRS website.  Not sure when it was discontinued.  I think @hubobulous might have had one at a gearfest thing.

Because Di Meola's has been touring with Gibsons.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    Love it.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited October 2016
    crunchman said:
    I kindof like it but I'm not sure that I'd want to actually own it and play it out though.  Doesn't need a scratchplate.  LP with a scratchplate is wrong.
    FIFY
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    crunchman said:
    usedtobe said:

Ah yes, that's the one. Thanks!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1355
    Wouldn't be my first choice to hang on the wall at home but as a "stage" guitar absolutely, definitely, 100%, YEAH BABY!

But then I do routinely rock a sparkly lilac PRS in public so maybe that's not the best reccomendation...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2492
    Looks like it's made from bits of an old boat that they couldn't decide which colour to a paint. Off to Davey Jones locker with ye!
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Rocker said:
    I like it.  The gold knobs look perfect to my old eyes.  A bit of a rarity from Gibson.  It looks well made!
    How are you deciding build quality from one picture of the body of a guitar? Mental.

I quite like it, the knobs don't go at all though.

And of course scratchplates on Les Pauls are terrible. On a Strat they make sense, they make making it and changing pickups etc much easier, on a LP it's just a shitty piece of plastic hiding a quarter of a nice finish held on with a bracket. Total afterthought.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Rocker said:
    How are you deciding build quality from one picture of the body of a guitar?
    I was serious about the neck angle - you can see that the tailpiece is fully down, but the strings are clear of the back edge of the bridge (even allowing for the dodgy saddle positions), and the bridge pickup is not too high in its ring. Therefore the neck joint was made properly, and probably won't be "fitted" with shims, glue infil and fresh air like some of them are.

OK there can be other issues, but you're halfway to eliminating problems that can't be fixed already. The angle of the wood grain at the headstock is the other big one, and you can't see that at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I like it! Like everyone has pretty much said, I wouldn't buy it!

Well I would if it was cheap! But it appears to be the opposite of cheap and insanely expensive!