Peak vinyl? Should I keep or sell?

What's Hot

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3074
    I sold all my Metallica and Maiden vinyl stuff at a boot sale in the early nineties - I was properly skint back then.   It was all original pressings etc.... 

I've spent the last two or three years trying to buy them back.

Moral of this story.... never sell any of your music....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5118
    octatonic said:
    Reverend said:
    A friend of mine sold most of his Metallica collection recently.

And used the money to pay the deposit on a house in London.
    That is crazy.
    Is he .... normal?
    I bought the ltd edition of the new Darkthrone album last week for £18 on pre-order. It is now selling for £60.
    The lathe cut for Electric Wizard's Legalise Drugs and Murder cost for £30 new a few months ago. It's now selling for over £200.
    He used to work in a record shop so often bought records in the 90s before the explosion in prices.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72973
    I'm guessing it will pass again. I do regret selling most of my vinyl ten years ago and not now, but only really because I could have got much more by selling now.

I have long since realised it's the musical content I'm interested in, not the format.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FRockStarFRockStar Frets: 140
    My brother recently sold nearly all of his vinyl for about 15 grand. He started selling them off individually on ebay & ting but was being killed on the postage and time spent packaging. So he put a list of all his stuff online somewhere and some guy who owned a record shop bought the lot! He had a load of mint and rare metal stuff. Paid off his car and had a couple of nice holidays. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5118
    I have literally thousands of records. over 500 7" singles and at least 2,000 12"/LPs.
    Some are probably only worth a fiver but there are a fair few worth a decent chunk of money. No idea what the total would be worth
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5590
    FRockStar said:
    My brother recently sold nearly all of his vinyl for about 15 grand. He started selling them off individually on ebay & ting but was being killed on the postage and time spent packaging. So he put a list of all his stuff online somewhere and some guy who owned a record shop bought the lot! He had a load of mint and rare metal stuff. Paid off his car and had a couple of nice holidays. 
    Find out where he posted his list, and who bought it!!

Reverend said:
    I have literally thousands of records. over 500 7" singles and at least 2,000 12"/LPs.
    Some are probably only worth a fiver but there are a fair few worth a decent chunk of money. No idea what the total would be worth
    Even if they're all 'only' worth a fiver each then you've got at least £12,500 there...
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    I built up a SERIOUS vinyl collections from 1974-1985. 1500 plus LPs, 3000 plus singles and EPs.Then I moved from the UK to Japan and sold everything because I couldn't justify shipping/storing (I was away for 7 years) , thinking that I could always build it up again with the 'wonderful' new CD format. 

Talk about being wrong. Talk about being a clueless cnut. To this day it pains me. Keep your vinyl.
  • Discog stats are good on your Nirvana EP

• Last sold on Sep 05, 2016
    • £246.67 Average
    • £253.83 Median
    • £344.71 Highest
    • £163.59 Lowest
    I have the 1st  pressing LTD numbered of PJ Harvey 'DRY' which sell £120 - £200 and I often think about selling it as I don't listen to it that often, then I listen to and say NO WAY... 

I have a good 100+ albums in the £40 - £80 used sale bracket but I aint selling, I love them too much.

edited October 2016
    Good score, @strumjoughlamps! My only record player is off an old Aiwa stacking system and the drive belt isn't much cop the rare times it gets dragged out of the wardrobe. I'm no vinyl junkie and these don't get played so it's purely sentimental value I'm keeping them for.

@paulk I'm not sure you'd have been saying the same if you had tried to flog them 5-10 years ago when nobody was buying records. I shifted a pile similar to mine for a mate who had moved abroad (talking metal pic discs and coloured vinyl) and I got £5-£10 for some and a quid or two for others and that's why I wonder if this is a revival peak phase just now and then it'll be done with. Will folk be paying crazy money for 80s/90s vinyl in 2030?? It'll all be holograms and we'll be streaming ultra HD audio straight in to our brains! With lasers.
  • A few years back I bought a Megaforce promo copy of Ride The Lightning in New York for 5 dollars, put it straight on eBay when I got offered £200 for it within half an hour of it being on, it went for £225. Metallica fans are mental.
    jamiexsilver said: A few years back I bought a Megaforce promo copy of Ride The Lightning in New York for 5 dollars, put it straight on eBay when I got offered £200 for it within half an hour of it being on, it went for £225. Metallica fans are mental.
    That's what I'm counting on!
  • @DiscoStu if you decide to sell let me have a list or something, you may have some bits that take my fancy.
    You never know, @jamiexsilver ;
    So Discogs then, is that the best way to sell vinyl these days then? Avoid eBay? 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I have the Jazz gatefold. I've also got news of the world in green vinyl, dark side of the moon in white vinyl and out of the blue in blue vinyl. I'd never sell any of my vinyl.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    edited October 2016
    DiscoStu said:
    So Discogs then, is that the best way to sell vinyl these days then? Avoid eBay? 
    If you use discogs to catalogue all your stuff it will give you a market low-med-high value straight away. 

It also allows you to gauge demand and what is/isn't worth selling.

I use it as a catalogue and it's excellent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That's a really good idea @Bridgehouse thanks. I was going to type out a database on my laptop but that would be a much better way of doing it and I could monitor the values every now and then. Brilliant.

Can you enter each item by catalogue number or do you have to type in the title and then work out which one of many versions it is that you have? I see there are multiple entries for the same cat no. in some cases with different prices for each entry, any idea what's going on there?
  • FRockStarFRockStar Frets: 140
    DiscoStu said:
    FRockStar said:
    Find out where he posted his list, and who bought it!!

This was in Finland, where he lives, so not much good to you. Probably a shop in Helsinki. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    DiscoStu said:
    That's a really good idea @Bridgehouse thanks. I was going to type out a database on my laptop but that would be a much better way of doing it and I could monitor the values every now and then. Brilliant.

Can you enter each item by catalogue number or do you have to type in the title and then work out which one of many versions it is that you have? I see there are multiple entries for the same cat no. in some cases with different prices for each entry, any idea what's going on there?
    Some will go by catalogue number straight away, but if you have some unusual stuff you might have to do a manual entry. It was probably 75%/25% for me, with the 75% being off catalogue number.

Be ruthless with your condition rating, and keep an eye on the market place. You can set up wanted lists - which means if you decide to sell something then you get instant marketplace as it's mailed to people who have it on their want list. 

• DiscoStu said:

Just type the barcode in and it should fetch up your version, be careful though as it may fetch up a few so it's worth double checking each time, also there's the run out matrix to check.