Heard an awesome distortion pedal yesterday...

ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7507
edited January 2014 in FX
Duncan powergrid? Nope.

Wampler triple wreck? Nope.

Tc rottweiler? No...

Ehx metal muff? No...

It was a danelectro fab metal!

No idea what circuit it is, switch was a bit weird and the pots had slightly odd taper, but christ that thing sounded huge!

Any wisdom on these? Genuinely tempted, although I love the Bandit drive sound, this thing could push the mids out in a way the Bandit doesn't do by itself.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PyromanPyroman Frets: 58
    If it sounds good to YOU, and you're in the market, buy the damn thing! It's not like Dano pedals are horribly expensive... I'm in the same boat- my favorite distortion is the $60 MXR Classic Distortion I got from the used bin at GC. The other is an MXR '78 Distortion, which isn't very expensive either. Likely a similar or nearly identical circuit, just with an added crunch switch. Both of those are kind of mid boosty, too. Even when the gain knob is turned down, and they're not adding much dirt, they do add something that makes my guitar sound huge. Both of my amps have solid state/ digital preamps, too. You gotta love those inexpensive and unassuming pedals that turn out to sound great!
  • Yeah, I love the dist iii for the sheer bigness of the overdrive sounds, and the way it pushes a Marshall without getting too nasty.

I might get one. I reckon it might screw with my dry signal if it has bad bypass, but I might see if I can mod it for true bypass. Hmm.

I can't access any of my money right now though. Maybe that's a sign.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited January 2014
    Those danelectro pedals are supposed to be pretty good bang for the buck.

I've heard rave reviews about many of them over time with the transparent overdrive constantly popping up.

My only danelectro pedal experience was not so good though.

I tried the tremolo cool cat and when it came it had a faulty switch, severe volume drop and intermittent sound issues so had to go back.

• Yeah, that series is mostly clones I think! This the even cheaper, plastic fab range. No idea what it is, but it sounded pretty great!
  • I've got the FAB distortion and it's not bad at all. It isn't too far away from the sound of a Mk1 Guvnor and it cleans up better than.a Boss DS1. The only downside I found was that it was very noisy when used with a daisy chain. Power it with a battery or isolated power supply and it was fine.
  • d8m;132639" said:
    Yup! Switch was temperamental, but the actual circuit was kinda cool sounding. Some have said it's a boss metal zone, but I'm not convinced. If I get one, I'll happily gut shot, but I suspect it's all SMD components and impossible to trace without knowing what I'm doing (I don't).

I've heard worse sounding pedals, let's put in the that way!
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited January 2014
    At that price SMD components are pretty much a sure bet.

I just checked it out on YouTube and agree that whilst there are some similarities with the metal zone but seems to have something different about it.

• Yeah, not much in the way of demos to be honest.

You're talking to someone who doesn't mind the metal zone - it does what it does, and I know there is at least one good sound in it. The dano seemed much easier to sound good with, but it's been a while since I tried a metal zone...
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
    edited January 2014
    Dano 'Metal' pedal models are well regarded - are two FAB and a Cool Cat. My CCat Danos (Drive, Transparent Drive and Vibe) are used a lot - because I am skint and have no job?? - NO -  because they sound great!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    It'll be a clone of something, maybe with a couple of tweaks. Most Dano stuff is.
  • Well, if I get one, I'd offer gut shots but I suspect it wouldn't be much use...