NPD Joyo Ultimate Drive!

What's Hot
d8md8m Frets: 2434
edited October 2015 in FX
After many moons of pontificating/GAS'ing for an OCD tone I finally bit the bullet on amazon a couple of days ago and bought my first Joyo pedal.

Always had reservations in the past about the quality so when the posty delivered it to me at work today and I first opened I was surprised how sturdy it feels.

Got it home and tried it for a little while before popping out and i gotta say so far I am blown away with how it sounds. 

Specially given its £29 price point.

Only thing I'm not so keen on is the tribal artwork but Ill see to rehousing/repainting in due course so its not a big issue.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Good GAS, congrats. :)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    Nice :D
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Having been so impressed by the ultimate drive I'm considering picking up a couple more joyo pedals from amazon and rehousing them in one hit.

• The Joyo Sweet Baby and the AC-Tone are excellent. Amazing value for money.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    I had an ultimate drive and thought it sounded pretty good but could never seem to make it work when playing with a band. I picked up the vintage overdrive and have been very happy.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73026
    d8m said:
    Only thing I'm not so keen on is the tribal artwork but Ill see to rehousing/repainting in due course so its not a big issue.
    Just re-paint it and sell it for $200 on TGP. They won't be able to tell what it is ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM;132933" said:
    d8m said:Only thing I'm not so keen on is the tribal artwork but Ill see to rehousing/repainting in due course so its not a big issue.

Just re-paint it and sell it for $200 on TGP. They won't be able to tell what it is ;).
    Nah, you have to change a cap type or value, or resistor value, to make it original.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73026
    Nah, you have to change a cap type or value, or resistor value, to make it original.
    I think you do it by tacking resistors across the pots to restrict their range to the polite/muffled zone, which makes it the most transparent overdrive ever, a complete game-changer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11104
    edited January 2014 tFB Trader
    I have two Joyo pedals on my board and intend to get a couple more: I have the digital delay ... which I really only use for slapback ... but it works well ... and the Joyo American that is wonderful at putting sparkle into dull rehearsal room amps when I want to be free of lugging my own :)
    Fancy the tremolo pedal ....

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    edited January 2014
    ICBM said:
    I think you do it by tacking resistors across the pots to restrict their range to the polite/muffled zone, which makes it the most transparent overdrive ever, a complete game-changer.
    I think they call that "mojoville".

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited January 2014
    d8m said:
    After many moons of pontificating/GAS'ing for an OCD tone I finally bit the bullet on amazon a couple of days ago and bought my first Joyo pedal.

Always had reservations in the past about the quality so when the posty delivered it to me at work today and I first opened I was surprised how sturdy it feels.

Got it home and tried it for a little while before popping out and i gotta say so far I am blown away with how it sounds. 

Specially given its £29 price point.

...I am actually offended by your carpet more than the pedal art... (or is it a shit Tweed Clone??)!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Carpet was in the flat when I moved in.

I've actually grown fond of it over the last year.

It's somewhere between a tweed clone and one of those wool carpets that you'd remember from primary school.

:))

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    @d8m - because of your bloody posting, I have gone off and bought a Joyo too... not the Ultimate Drive, but the Deluxe Crunch - after two insightful demos on YT I found it not for the £42.50 UK price but £28 with delivery from... Japan!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>