62 reissue Tele

What's Hot
Having discovered that I was mistaken in thinking Les Paul's are THE BEST GUITARS, and discovering, after buying a 71 Tele, that Teles are THE BEST GUITARS, I now have the hots for a 62 reissue, so I can remind myself how hard it is to play Message In a Bottle.

Anything I should know (other than I'll have to fit my own neck PAF)?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    edited October 2016
    Wasn't @Gassage selling the ultimate in Summers-tone?

Not sure if that went (can't use the search on my fone) but it was in the Classies a few days ago iirc

Edit: This were it :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes. Very cool it is too, but more moolah than I have. A standard 62 RI is what I'm after.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1400
    Do you mean the old US 62 RI that got phased out when they brought in the new AVRIs?

There are a few of the MIJ 62s around. LGS just took in an immaculate Ice Blue Metallic FSR. 

Personally, my MIM 60s Classic sounds and feels as good as any tele I've played. 
  • I don't know, is the answer to that. The ones I've seen are Japanese, which is fine by me.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4805
    Having discovered that I was mistaken in thinking Les Paul's are THE BEST GUITARS, and discovering, after buying a 71 Tele, that Teles are THE BEST GUITARS, I now have the hots for a 62 reissue, so I can remind myself how hard it is to play Message In a Bottle.

Anything I should know (other than I'll have to fit my own neck PAF)?
    Ha Ha - I love my Tele too (it's an '88 USA Standard).  And here's a clip - yes, playing the MIAB riff too, at 2:15!

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    The Jap 62 reissues are ace... *but* the standard pickups are a bit meh. I had a sunburst (that the top and back had been sanded back to natural and waxed) one with Seymours in it and frankly it was one of my faves until I had it refretted and the "luthier" involved just bollocksed it up. I lost heart and sold it to a mate who spent a lot of money having the neck sorted. Its still a cracking guitar... I'd have it back in a heartbeat.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2046
    impmann said:
    The Jap 62 reissues are ace... *but* the standard pickups are a bit meh. I had a sunburst (that the top and back had been sanded back to natural and waxed) one with Seymours in it and frankly it was one of my faves until I had it refretted and the "luthier" involved just bollocksed it up. I lost heart and sold it to a mate who spent a lot of money having the neck sorted. Its still a cracking guitar... I'd have it back in a heartbeat.
    ^ This.  My '85 '62 Jap RI is excellent, the neck in particular is very easy to play, with quite small frets, a lovely piece of very dark rosewood, and the correct vintage tint and tuners.  I'd agree the pickups and electrics are average.  I keep putting off getting mine sorted, in an effort to keep it all factory original, but I guess if I can find a new scratchplate that fits, I can take replace the whole of the wiring loom in one piece and keep the original stuff somewhere safe.
  • Well I'm glad to hear the good vibes for the Jap 62 reissue, because that's the one I'm lusting after. Sunburst, rosewood fingerboard.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 756
    edited October 2016
    Here's my 62 RI, a 1983 body with an allparts/ MJT neck and vodoo pickups:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j427/fnpt/Telecaster/DSC04031_zps96fec20e.jpg

____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • I had a 2008 CIJ Fender '62. 

It was a really nice guitar, I'd agree that the pickups weren't great---I put Bareknuckles in. The only other thing I wasn't keen on was the poly finish---the guitar didn't feel as basic as I sometimes want a telecaster to be. Odd complaint, I know. 

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4805
    fnpt said:
    Here's my 62 RI, a 1983 body with an allparts/ MJT neck and vodoo pickups:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j427/fnpt/Telecaster/DSC04031_zps96fec20e.jpg

That's nice - & it's got the bound edges too! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2046
    ^ Yep, mine's the same as that body-wise, the original neck is more tinted and has very dark rosewood.

I agree it's a shame about the poly finish, but it looks nice anyway.
  • keirkeir Frets: 144
    I've got a candy apple red one (CIJ). The pickups weren't great I agree, mines got fender American vintage pickups not which are the same as my 52 reissue. It's a beautiful looking guitar and the rosewood neck is really nice but it hardly sees any use now that I have my 52RI and my main guitar is a 335. I should really get my backside in gear and get it in the classifieds!
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited October 2016
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    ^To be fair £525 when it needs a refret and has been "Heavily Gigged" sounds a bit steep for what it is but if you're into Fenders you'll be used to that kind of shit by now !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • keirkeir Frets: 144
    A regret is a dear do. I had my tele (not the 62ri)  done with larger frets and it cost me a lot - I think it was £150+ 
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • Alnico said:
    ^To be fair £525 when it needs a refret and has been "Heavily Gigged" sounds a bit steep for what it is but if you're into Fenders you'll be used to that kind of shit by now !
    I'm fairly sure I sold my mint-condition CIJ one for £525, but that included a pair of Bareknuckle pickups (along with the originals) and a hiscox case. So I'd definitely say "optimistic" pricing on that one. 
  • FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 500
    edited November 2016
    Bought this slightly road worn model. I want to cut a hole in it and fit a mini humbucker or a Firebird neck pickup to it, so it seemed pointless buying a mint one. Having said that, the frets are fine.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31156
    You done good.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    Nice one, chap. Good score.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.