SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Various valves

New territory for me (as a confirmed tranny fan, ooh er!) but I have acquired two valve amps that need new valves. Neither are worth spending too much on, so I'm looking for some cheap tubes to stick in and see what they are like.

I need (for a Peavey Windsor head), 4 x EL34 and 3 x 12AX7 and (for a Laney LC15), 3 x ECC83, 2 x EL84.

Can anyone help?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093

you probably need to read up on the difference between fixed bias and cathode biased amps: AFAIK both of your amps are fixed bias, and so will need bias checking or adjustment when changing the power tubes

There is not really such a thing as cheap tubes, JJ ones are full pro quality, and are not expensive - they are often the cheapest ones people sell, whereas you can pay a lot for vintage or rarer ones

You need to find a local amp tech anyway - you can change preamp valves, and cathode biased power tubes and rectifiers yourself, but to replace fixed bias valves yourself, it either needs to be a calibrated amp, where you buy matching rated valves every time (like GT sell) - no-one does this much AFAIK, or to use bias probes and meters.

How do you know they need new valves btw?

• I've got 10 spare 12AX7 valves here - 1 x JJ, 9 x unbranded Chinese. All are good except one, I just can't remember which one (it might be the JJ?).

Chuck me £22 (£2 each for the good ones, £4 for postage), and they're yours...
    <space for hire>
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 739
    Thanks for the info Tone Control. There is obviously a lot more to it than I ever appreciated! I have a good local tech who can do the work though. I bought the Laney without valves as a project. The Peavey I made the mistake of buying it privately without cranking it up! Buyer beware! It is OK at low volumes but squeals and goes muffled when turned up. I don't know enough about it to know which valves would need to be replaced but thought it would make sense to swap them all out.

Digitalscream - sounds good, paypal or bank transfer?

• wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    Got a matched pair of jj el84 20 quid. Pm me if you're interested.