What is the purpose of the CAGED system?

What's Hot
I know it as a means of playing the 'same' chords on different parts of the guitar neck.  But what is the benefit of this?  Some of the shapes, G and D are quite tricky to get right so it definitely aids finger control.  I am slightly familiar with the chord shapes but can't quite get what the practice is all about.  Please clarify. 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    edited October 2016
    I know the CAGED system can relate to chord inversions but I think it's generally more a means of finding scales and their modes along the length of the neck. It's just one of the systems, and players have their preference, but it works.
  • vizviz Frets: 10732
    I find it counter-intuitive personally but lots of folk seem to find it useful. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • It provides a framework to map out the whole guitar neck based around 5 major chord shapes. You can hang chords and scales off the shapes and form interrelationships between the scales and chords.

I worked out my own way of thinking about the guitar in terms of 5 chord shapes related to 5 pentatonic shapes before I'd heard of the CAGED system. When I heard about it, I adapted my thinking to fit with the CAGED system 

I think different players might use it in different ways. It underpins all of my thinking (and the way I hear things) on guitar.

It works for me but I know that it doesn't work for everyone. What I see as CAGED others might put another label on.

In terms of chords, the G (major) shape is a bit tricky but I just view it as a guide. You don't have to play the whole chord. There are many chords that can be based on adaptations of that shape.

It's not a competition.
  • vizviz Frets: 10732
    ^ yes, that full G shape is not very common, but it can be really useful if the middle portion only is used - I use it all the time, playing what I think of as an A-shape chord 1st inversion. For A that would be "A over C#", or x4222x. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8767
    It provides a framework to map out the whole guitar neck based around 5 major chord shapes. You can hang chords and scales off the shapes and form interrelationships between the scales and chords.
    This is the first point: Once you can see this map then you know where the key notes are from which you can play pentatonic and other scales. Secondly, it can help you climb out of the straight jacket of only playing scales, because you can see where arpeggios and other chordal ideas.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    It should really be called CCCCC. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2206
    edited October 2016
    Below are some links to pdfs I created when I was teaching my youngest daughter guitar.
    The first link below is about the CAGED major shapes

The next link is an example of how I think of (in this case) major chords type chords based around the E shape. But obviously the principle extends to the formation of other chords.

The material is something I plan to work on when I retire early next year. The section numbers relate to how I planned to compile it into a book one day (for my own purposes). I haven't got very far yet and haven't scratched the surface. I still need to cover how to relate it to scales.

@viz will recognise this because we had an offline discussion about it.

btw. I use http://www.neckdiagrams.com
    I have no affiliation with the company but I thought I'd give them a plug because it's great software.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom