Special Edition BOSS Pedals with Premium Tone - OD1/X & DS1/X

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
edited January 2014 in FX

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Is it a klone? There simply aren't enough of them around...
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    Bugger. I thought it was going to be a reissue of the OD-1.

Which is in fact the one that started it all… the ancestor of all "Tube Screamer-type" circuits and probably anything else that uses clipping diodes in an IC gain stage feedback loop.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9772

I thought this would be a digital modeller like many of Boss's recent drives, but at 45mA I guess not (although it's possible, you don't need that much processing power to model clipping I suppose).

The OD-1 is the first pedal I ever bought. Did it predate the Tubescreamer then? I thought they were derived from Maxxon pedals which were around before Ibanez put their name on them.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    edited January 2014

I thought this would be a digital modeller like many of Boss's recent drives, but at 45mA I guess not (although it's possible, you don't need that much processing power to model clipping I suppose).

At 45mA it will be digital - an analogue overdrive/distortion only draws 5-10mA. Most modern digitals draw in that sort of range, not like early ones which could be well over 100mA.

The OD-1 is the first pedal I ever bought. Did it predate the Tubescreamer then? I thought they were derived from Maxxon pedals which were around before Ibanez put their name on them.

Yes, it pre-dates the Tube Screamer and I think even the other non-TS Maxon pedals. (OD-1 - 1978; TS-808 - 1979.) Boss patented the asymetric diode-loop clipping circuit, but Ibanez/Maxon got around it by simply making it symetrical :). They also added the tone control stage - which Boss then re-copied for the SD-1 (1981.) I'm pretty sure the SD-1 is a TS derivative not an independent evolution of the OD-1 since the circuit is nearly identical.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Quite excited for these as the more recent digital boss I tried (the dyna drive) was really quite nice, if a wee bit bright. It was tamed with the tone control, but needed fine tuning rather than your average plug and play.

I would have loved to have seen a reissue of the original ds-1.