You Tube Demo "hits"

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8573
I've posted up a handful of you tube videos of bits of gear over the years, most have somewhere between 50 and 500 views. Having not posted anything for ages, I looked back and was somewhat astonished to see that a quick and dirty demo of a Taylor T5z I did last year is now in excess of 10k views - where did that come from! Especially as the playing on it makes me cringe a little.

Who else posts you tube videos and what's your greatest hit?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    dindude said:
    Who else posts you tube videos and what's your greatest hit?
    I've done one which has now had a colossal 425 - of which about 400 were me....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited October 2016
    I put a demo up of a rarer Gibson and got 20k views quite quickly. Put me off doing another as I think that was my glory moment  =) 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    My most popular 9 years ago is on 81,514. 

My last (a year ago) is on 1,247.

My time has been and gone.
  • Almost 500,000 on one...
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have inexplicably 30k on this one, comparing 3 guitars middle pickup tones crudely...
    two of which I no longer own. 

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    I have inexplicably 30k on this one, comparing 3 guitars middle pickup tones crudely...
    two of which I no longer own. 

Genius move; including the link!

Why didn't I think of that?

• Not many on mine, to be honest. I bought an expensive camera for it and everything. Maybe I'll do more in future but it feels a tad futile and I don't know what the point is anymore! 
  • I also feel there's an added pressure to do pristine playthroughs, reserved only for the super players. 
  • I also feel there's an added pressure to do pristine playthroughs, reserved only for the super players. 
    I have proven that to not be the case! 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27087
    edited October 2016
    65k, for a gaming video (Elite: Dangerous) after PC Gamer picked it up.

Not even close to that for any of my guitar vids.
    <space for hire>
  • Gav, don't put yourself down!
    Yeah, gamer vids are a big hit these days. Not with me.
  • Not many on mine, to be honest. I bought an expensive camera for it and everything. Maybe I'll do more in future but it feels a tad futile and I don't know what the point is anymore! 
    Here's the thing - I remain convinced that for most purposes, you can get damn good video quality from a recent-generation phone (eg Galaxy S5 or S6) as long as you have decent lighting. No need for expensive cameras, at least until you get to the point where you're making money off it.
    <space for hire>
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    It's crazy how popular Gaming videos are, my friend made some really cringey Counter Strike videos around 6 years ago, just recently they have become very popular, one of them had 300k views! 

His voice was so high pitched back then. 
  • Yeah I sort of regret getting the camera. I rarely use it. When I do, it's on auto. It's damn good, mind.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    85k views on a really bad video i made for a Epiphone LPC Zakk Wylde...the playing, was atrocious if im honest, but i had more thumbs up than downs, and a lot of comments.

I've since made the video private, because the playing was so bad. I also had ads on it, and it made me about $150 over a space of a year.

nothing has had that much success since, i think the trick with that was in the name and tags of the video which included a lot of mass market appeal.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4796
    edited October 2016
    Interesting question - i had to go & have a look as I haven't done any demo's for a few years now.  On my youtube channel (voxman5) in total I've had 439,000 hits (38 vids).  Some are demo's, some are playing, some are gig clips.  Biggest hit on a single demo vid is a little under 80,000 demoing a Vox VT30 Valvetronix followed by one of over 60,000 hits on my demo of the Vox VT40+ Valvetronix (I used to get loaned gear by the nice folk at Vox).  Got lots of thumbs up & kind comments, which is always nice.  VT30 vid done with my PRS Cu24; VT40+ I used several of my guitars, playing a few different styles (rock, blues, jazz, slide, with Strat, Tele, Epi Sherry, PRS, & a Vox guitar on loan) 

Interesting story on these 2 vids - a few years back I was at a business lunch with the Chief Underwriter of one of the UK's biggest insurers, who followed my channel.  He told me that a couple of my videos (these two) were on Sarah Palin's site in the US - I looked and they were!  My wife thought I was joking until she saw it for herself!  I dropped a line to Sarah Palin to enquire why (it was after all a political site!) but never got a reply. Best we could fathom is that maybe her son was possibly interested in the amps!  (not on it anymore). 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's why I started doing YT videos. To stop me being lazy/sloppy with some songs.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1471
    edited October 2016
    My most watched YouTube vid is nothing to do with guitars, it does sound good though.

http://youtu.be/gw_0XpHuh9s

The real money is in videos of adults playing with kids toys... 10's of millions of views on those!
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    I don't have any gear demos up. Wowed @samzadgan for the monetisation, I turned it down when YT offered it to me after some concert clips I shot went over 1K.