De-glossing a poly finished guitar

What's Hot
johnhejohnhe Frets: 192
edited October 2016 in Guitar
Hi everyone,

While it is possible to google threads on t'interweb about doing this, but most of the advice is based on products in North America. I wondered if people could recommend materials easily available in the U.K.

Im not looking for a relic finish, but sometimes the shiny look on my Epi 339 or my MIM strats is just a bit too shiny. Is it realistic to rub the finish and take the glossy shine off? I suppose that means I am actually relic-ing the guitar!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1340
    Someone done it to a vintage sunburst epiphone sheraton on the old music radar forum ,looked great ,hopefully if they are on here this will jog their memory 
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1340
    0000 wire wool (remove or cover pickups first ) or green scouring pad ...that springs to mind but I'm not 100% on this so wait for confirmation off the experts 
  • I've done it with a mix of high grit wet paper (i.e around 1500 down to 800grit). Getting the paper wet basically increases the grit (i.e. 1500 wet will act a bit like 1800). 

However, any abrasive polish should start to get the look. Rubbing at the end with brasso helped on one guitar I was doing, and actually toothpaste will work too, as it's mildly abrasive and a polish. 

The best thing is to try on a bit of the guitar (say with the strat) usually hidden by the pickguard, so you can see the look you want. The wet paper will leave some very fine marks at the beginning, but I found the brasso gets these out. 
  • I've done it with a mix of high grit wet paper (i.e around 1500 down to 800grit). Getting the paper wet basically increases the grit (i.e. 1500 wet will act a bit like 1800). 

However, any abrasive polish should start to get the look. Rubbing at the end with brasso helped on one guitar I was doing, and actually toothpaste will work too, as it's mildly abrasive and a polish. 

The best thing is to try on a bit of the guitar (say with the strat) usually hidden by the pickguard, so you can see the look you want. The wet paper will leave some very fine marks at the beginning, but I found the brasso gets these out. 
    With the strat, you may want to do it on the pickguard too (depending on the colour and look) as a shiny white pickguard might look a bit odd with a matt/satin finish guitar. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4796
    I have the opposite problem.  I'd like to get the gloss finish on my 1990 LP Custom to shine and get all the crap off it built up over the years!  :'(
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Image result for angle grinders

One of these will do it in no time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3103
    Sassafras said:
    Image result for angle grinders

One of these will do it in no time.
    Wasnt sure if this deserved a lol or a wisdom...wisdom won!...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• SyncSync Frets: 289
    edited October 2016
    This is what you need. I use this on my builds and restorations. Don't use sparingly. Once it compacts after a min or so of rubbing use a new piece. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberon-SW00001KG-1Kg-Steel-Wool/dp/B001GUA82S/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477398553&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Colon+wire+wool ;
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 192
    Anyone have any before and after photos of a de-glossed poly finish?
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    I recall @TimmyO doing this to an Epiphone (Sheraton if I remember correctly) back on the old MR forum.  It was a long job!
    edited October 2016
    Wow @JookyChap. That's just the look I was searching for!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7741
    Nitefly said:
    I recall @TimmyO doing this to an Epiphone (Sheraton if I remember correctly) back on the old MR forum.  It was a long job!
    You have a good memory!
    I'll have to have a dig and see if I still have those pics. 

My experience was that even as an amateur hack parts of it looked bloody lovely and other parts (mostly the darker bits) looked less awesome up close, but doing it even a 2nd time I'm sure it would have been better.

I wonder who has that guitar now? I did that to it and also fitted TonePros hardware, Classic 57 pickups - it sounded KILLER. 

<goes to dig for pics> 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    OK I've found some old pics - please bear in mind that they are phone camera pics on a phone I had in 2006 :-)

Album is here:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0PG4TcsmGUDU79

I included the couple of crap looking ones at the end to show it at its worst - in normal (non flash) light it never looked bad like that, but someone at the time asked to see the extent of scratch/swirl that was left when I was finished (or rather decided to stop as it had taken a bloody long time and I was satisfied)

You can see from a couple of the other pics that the overall result was a very flat look which is exactly what I was going for.

I found that I needed to start with a rougher paper than people were suggesting (I don't recall what)  as the finish was HARD and it was barely putting a dent in it. I'd have got better results going through the grades more slowly once I'd done that initial cut back with the rough, but, well, I didn't :-) Ended with 00 steel wool (0000 didn't help much as I had too many swirl marks from coarser grades and didn't want to go back and repeat) 

Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    OK I've found some old pics - please bear in mind that they are phone camera pics on a phone I had in 2006 :-)

Album is here:

I included the couple of crap looking ones at the end to show it at its worst - in normal (non flash) light it never looked bad like that, but someone at the time asked to see the extent of scratch/swirl that was left when I was finished (or rather decided to stop as it had taken a bloody long time and I was satisfied)

You can see from a couple of the other pics that the overall result was a very flat look which is exactly what I was going for.

I found that I needed to start with a rougher paper than people were suggesting (I don't recall what)  as the finish was HARD and it was barely putting a dent in it. I'd have got better results going through the grades more slowly once I'd done that initial cut back with the rough, but, well, I didn't :-) Ended with 00 steel wool (0000 didn't help much as I had too many swirl marks from coarser grades and didn't want to go back and repeat) 

That's looks wonderful - thanks so much for posting the photos. How many hours of work did it take to achieve that kind of finish?
    johnhe said:
    TimmyO said:

Album is here:

That's looks wonderful - thanks so much for posting the photos. How many hours of work did it take to achieve that kind of finish?
    No worries.

I honestly don't recall how much time went in to it - I know it felt like a lot of hard work though and I did wonder why I'd started at one point :-) It was sweaty work. 

If you want to get better results than I did (which you should :-) ) I'd say don't think of it as a weekend project - go slower through the grades so you take the preceding marks out gradually and do it over however many sessions that takes you. 

Post some pics when you do it! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    TimmyO said:
    Nitefly said:
    You have a good memory!
    I'll have to have a dig and see if I still have those pics. 

I can't usually remember what I had for tea!