Noisy strat

What's Hot
fnptfnpt Frets: 756
So I've got this partscaster which is too noisy even for a single coil guitar. I attribute that to bad soldier connections and to the lack of shielding.

My question is simply whether or not that kitchen aluminium paper would do the job or do I need a particular type of paper and if so, where can I find it?
____
"You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4796
    edited October 2016
    I think simple kitchen foil is OK, but there are better materials. Noise can be a real PITA with strats.  Shielding will help a little but if it's that noisy you're probably best to focus checking on the p/ups, wiring, earthing etc. 

I found this article on strat shielding for you that might be helpful:

http://www.artandtechnology.com.au/guitar/shielding-strat.html
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73067
    Kitchen foil can work well for some things - like inside amp cabinets - but in a guitar it's not easy to stick properly to the woodwork, and not easy to make electrical connections to.

What you really need is copper shielding tape. It's self-adhesive, and very easy to make really good connections to with solder - you can also put a small spot of solder on each join to make sure it makes continuous contact, the 'conductive glue' very often doesn't work too well for that.

You can buy it in small quantities suitable for a guitar from various Ebay sellers, it isn't too expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4796
    edited October 2016
    And another two articles here: 

http://joegiampaoli.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/shielding-strat-guitar-to-eliminate-hum.html

http://www.mcquain.com/lespaul/StratWiring/Strat_Shielding_Tips.pdf

It's these type of articles I was thinking of when I floated the idea of creating a centralised information base on FB.  ;)

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 756
    Cheers guys, very helpful.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Copper tape round the top of flower pots keeps slugs away.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 756
    SNAKEBITE said:
    Well, that is also useful to know.
    ____
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    SNAKEBITE said:
    Does that mean it might interfere with the slug coils in a humbucker?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom