Guitar case lining material.

AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
Does anyone know where i can get the correct material that would normally be used in a guitar case?

I am building a shelf to mount my guitar on the wall, in an alcove where our big TV used to be so it will sit horizontally on this shelf, leaning slightly back in towards the wall with a small loop tie for each strap button to stop it toppling forwards.

I want to line the shelf with the same fabric cases use and the back panel of the wall, so the guitar think it's in a case that's open, if that makes sense.
The wall is insulated and the temperature is fine, it's just a case (no pun) of protecting it from getting scratched.

Any ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7126
    tFB Trader
    I'd just use some cotton velvet in any colour that will show off the guitar to its best.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I'd just use some cotton velvet in any colour that will show off the guitar to its best.
    Thanks Steve.
    Do you think i can get the stuff that doesn't cause loads of bobbles coming off all over the guitar?
    The material i've seen in shops all looks a bit naff and just sheds itself all the time. Most guitar cases seem to be lined in a type of fur that doesn't seem to do that ?

I like idea of the Velvet especially though because it will be black and look really smart. I presume i would have a foam backing behind that to give it a padding to sit on ?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    A bit of Dralon won't shed any bobbly bits and it's very hard wearing.
    You'd have to supply the foam backing though.
    Sassafras said:
    A bit of Dralon won't shed any bobbly bits and it's very hard wearing.
    You'd have to supply the foam backing though.
    Ok cool, i will keep an eye out for that.
    I didn't know it was called that, cheers.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7126
    tFB Trader
    Dralon is acrylic fibres, I'd rather use cotton. A good quality velvet won't shed. The crappy stuff has a knitted substrate, you need to look for a woven fabric which won't stretch either.

I bought a piece from eBay for this job: 
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/85460/re-lining-a-guitar-case
    Dralon is acrylic fibres, I'd rather use cotton. A good quality velvet won't shed. The crappy stuff has a knitted substrate, you need to look for a woven fabric which won't stretch either.

I bought a piece from eBay for this job: 
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/85460/re-lining-a-guitar-case
    That look great, well done Steve.

I will use all these notes and go looking.
    I will try to photograph it in progress too.