big necks

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16074
edited October 2016 in Guitar
you like the bigger necks, like some of the RI 52 teles....what is it you like about them, do you find them easier tae bend notes on perhaps ,or what?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I just find them more comfortable, especially these days now that my hands cramp up after 10 minutes.
    I also think they add a bit of meat to the sound but that's just an impression.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23641
    edited October 2016

I don't know really.  They just feel right.  I've never understood how anyone can be comfortable with skinny necks.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited October 2016
    My CS Strat has the biggest neck I've ever had on a Fender style guitar (56/10 profile). 

I must admit - it's been a revelation. Big stretches - such as the 'Every Breath You Take' 'add 9' chords suddenly seem much easier - yet there seem to be no downsides.

The shaping is very clever - the slightly V profile means it doesn't feel cumbersome with 'thumb over' playing - yet with your thumb in the middle (as you do when playing add 9 chords) the extra depth is more noticeable and seems to make the stretches easier.

I'm not overly fussy about neck shapes generally but this has become my new favourite.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6938
    edited October 2016
    Big necks?

I've got smallish hands and find bigger necks more comfortable.

I like the Fender U shape and more generic 50's Gibson. I say generic as there seems to be different varieties of 50's.

That said my favourite neck at the moment is on my 63 VOS 335. It's relatively slim at the nut end but fattens up nicely by the time you get half way down the fretboard.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31150
    23".

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• hootsmon said:
    you like the bigger necks, like some of the RI 52 teles....what is it you like about them, do you find them easier tae bend notes on perhaps ,or what?
    no I don't!
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Just feel more comfy and fill the palm just right....I used to play skinny Ibanez S series necks many years ago...I still can but more Red Special replica neck is like 4 of 'em...and feels so so nice to play. Anorexic necks don't really mean you can play a jot faster IMO. As long as its comfy you'll play the same at least speed wise.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14008
    I have a R8 with a fat neck and a AV52 that fees thin by comparison. The fat neck on the Les Paul makes the guitar feel so solid with very stable tuning, it's like a warship. Can't go back to thin necks again

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3103
    Ive tried Allparts round, Allparts Vee and Might Mite Vee, much prefer the Vees, the Allparts is chunkier than the MM......I find the thicker necks to be more comfortable...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5110
    My CS Strat has the biggest neck I've ever had on a Fender style guitar (56/10 profile). 
    Pedant alert... it's 10/56!

And it's also definitely my favourite Fender neck profile.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865

Fair point well made! :)
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 642
    The PRS pattern neck is nice and chunky, but nothing like as big as a Mighty Mite neck I've got. I reckon someon simply chopped a giant redwood in half and banged some frets in. It's really comfortable to play.
  • I am comfortable with any neck shape luckily but there's something quite satisfying about playing a nice chunky neck on a strat/tele, it just feels solid and receptive.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23641

Fair point well made! :)
    I always hated V necks until I tried the 10/56 profile.  I've got a couple of bigger Fender necks - a Nocaster and a 54 U - but the 10/56 really is very comfortable.