US Strat body.... value?

What's Hot
GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
in Guitar tFB Trader
Hey fellas. I need a little help here.

Im looking at selling the body from my 2007 US Standard Strat. It's immaculate; no marks, dings or scrapes anywhere. 

Im finding it hard to get a value TBH. I thought around £350. It's finished in Candy Cola with polyurethane gloss. 

Can any any of you guys add anything to help me out? I should mention that it's just the body. No hardware apart from the strap buttons are included.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/Lonestar83/Mobile Uploads/C46F4C37-8BD0-4A67-A838-371313CE3645_zps1t4y5ubr.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Dear me... i apparently didn't look THAT hard! Thanks for the info, I can't believe I missed that.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12110
    ebay USA standard strats are selling at £495-£600 in hard cases at present
    I'd guess that the neck,  hardware and pickups are the easiest to sell, since  people upgrading would probably  stay with their  cheaper body, so I'd assume the body was  worth  a lot less than you're hoping,  I'm afraid
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    The trouble is second-hand U.S Strats can generally be picked-up for £500 easily enough and if you are breaking them the necks seem to take a heftier chunk of that than the bodies do.

£20 and I'm doing you a favour ;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12110
    checkout this guy, been selling dismantled Fenders for years, has dozens of bodys:
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-STRATosphere?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
    assume that dollar price =  at least same in £, since  duty &  VAT is 23%
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited October 2016
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you'd do well to get £200 for it.

Bodies are so readily available to spec at good prices that shifting on genuine Fender bodies is tough. It's the easiest area of a build to feel like you don't need a Fender part, if that makes sense. If I want to make a Fender spec partscaster, I'll get a Fender bridge, tuners, and maybe even a Fender neck, but I'm probably going to get a non Fender body, because so and so can provide me with one that is a good quality wood and painted in nitro.

Wood quality obviously matters, but most overlook it to some extent, as long as it's made from the wood they want, it's hard to make a US Fender body made of alder seem any more attractive to a buyer than an alder body from guitarbuild, or one that belonged to a MiM Fender... especially if you're pricing the US body much higher.

Also colour is king, and I don't think it's a colour that's really easy to sell like the classic vintage colours; Daphne Blue, Seafoam Green, Olympic White etc, plus it's poly.

tFB Trader
    All info appreciated. I'm not disappointed or annoyed in the slightest by the news TBH. I genuinely don't know what its worth and all I'm looking to do is move it on to buy the replacement body I want.

Ill get it shifted and make it happen. Need to see what offers I get I suppose.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5341
    great colour IMO, might not be everyones cup of tea but i do feel those that like it love it if you know what i mean anyway GLWTS
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5114
    If it's just the colour of the body you don't like maybe a refinish would be worth considering rather than selling it?
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73087
    A rough rule of thumb is that the body is worth about 1/3 of the value of the whole guitar. (As is the neck, and all the rest of the parts together, respectively.)

So about £200 for a USA Standard, since they're worth about £600 for one in that condition. To actually sell it, in today's market, you may have to take a bit less though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31969
    Jack_ said:
    Wood quality obviously matters,
    But not to Fender, some US Standards were made out of some kind of packing case blockboard.

I'm a big Fender fan, but I've never bothered using a genuine body on any partscaster I've ever built from scratch.
    tFB Trader
    Thanks again folks. That's absolutely fine, £200 sees me home and dry for the plan I have. I could get the body refinished but it would cost about the same as the new body with my choice of finish TBH. Very messy nonsense stripping polyurethane off a guitar.
    edited October 2016
    p90fool said:
    Jack_ said:
    Wood quality obviously matters,
    But not to Fender, some US Standards were made out of some kind of packing case blockboard.
    Not quite as bad as that, but they were certainly made from multiple narrow blocks with veneers front and back. This was in the 90s though, any USA body made after 2000 should be solid, and at most three-piece I think.

p90fool said:

I'm a big Fender fan, but I've never bothered using a genuine body on any partscaster I've ever built from scratch. 
    The difference here is that this is a USA Standard, which actually makes it more important to have the right one than for a generic vintage-style Strat - probably only a Fender body will have the correct stud inserts for the two-post bridge.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4774

My 1994 Strat is 9 piece with a front veneer.  Not a major issue, but also not a welcome surprise after 2 days poly stripping.
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334

My 1994 Strat is 9 piece with a front veneer.  Not a major issue, but also not a welcome surprise after 2 days poly stripping.
    Is that a us strat? !!!!

And i love the colour on that strat body . 
    stuagu said:

Is that a us strat? !!!!
    Yes, they were like that from around the early 90s to 2000. Some Mexican models had it for a bit longer.

It's unfortunate if you don't find out until you've stripped the body - if you're really unlucky, it's fairly easy to sand through the top veneer if you don't realise how thin it is...

tFB Trader
    I'll be selling the body next month at some point. All being well the replacement should come around Xmas time. I do like the colour, it's what drew me to it originally but I'd rather have the body and colour that my dream strat would have. 

I was actually going to buy a CS Strat next year but decided against it. The neck of this one is too good to get rid of so I'm happy to modify around it.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    so what is your dream colour strat ?
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4774
    stuagu said:

Is that a us strat? !!!!

And i love the colour on that strat body . 
    Yeah 1994 AM standard 40th anniversary.  Sounds okay though.
    tFB Trader
    siraxeman said:
    so what is your dream colour strat ?
    Sonic blue, rosewood board (which I have) on a slim C neck. Nitro to finish it off nicely.

Ill be ordering it next week so this body will be for sale :)