Tell me about P90s

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5606
    edited October 2016
    Lovely things. My Yamaha SA503 TVL has 3 P90s in it - yes, 3! - and sounds lush.
    I put a Bare Knuckle P91 in the neck of my Mirrortop self-build and a Seymour Duncan P-Rails in the bridge of my Godin Exit-22.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1644
    Rowby1 said:
    Anyone any thoughts on P90s in a hollow or semi btw?
    Yes indeed, a fantastic combination this is what my Epiphone Sheraton with Mississippi Queens sounded like this week in the studio through an MJW 18 watt Tweed. 

P90's are in my opinion the best pickups available. Like a clear less middy Humbucker or a really fat and chunky single coil. They work brilliantly in my LP and my semi. 

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1289
    @shaunm That sounds great, mind you, an MJW helps  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1644
    @Rowby1 as a fellow MJW fan I thought you'd appreciate that. 

In all honesty P90's are my favourite pickup. I use Oil City in my LP and they are brilliant, highly recommended.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I must have a dozen with P90s in them and there isn't a bad one amongst them. The only thing I'd suggest is clean sounds tend to be better with low wind P90s, while overdriven sounds better with hot P90s, and the lack of easy height adjustment on a dogear mount can spoil a good guitar.
  • armitaanarmitaan Frets: 379
    I find more and more if I want a blues blues/rock tone from a single cut type guitar I reach for my guitar with Arcane p90s rather than something with humbuckers, so easy to get all the tones you need. For anything other than metal reckon id go with p90s now in a les Paul - type 
  • I don't get why people moan about hum, if you are playing the guitar you don't hear it and if you stop you can use the volume dial to get rid of it
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    What sort of output do modern p90s have? The two in my '62 LP Special are 8.2 and 8.6
    7k is very low and I think my hottest are about 12k or more on the bridge.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1289
    @meltedbuzzbox  I'm used to a Tele so I doubt I'll find it an issue and yes, quite right, that's another thing the volume control is there for.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    What sort of output do modern p90s have? The two in my '62 LP Special are 8.2 and 8.6

My Bare Knuckle Pig 90 was about 20k  =) think that's an exception rather than the rule though haha. Was an absolute tank of a pickup!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    TTBZ said:

My Bare Knuckle Pig 90 was about 20k  =) think that's an exception rather than the rule though haha. Was an absolute tank of a pickup!
    I'm not sure I'd want these to be any hotter - great balance and nice cleans. 20k sounds like you'd hear them through the amp with the cable an inch from the socket!
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    I think the mojo bridge was something like 8.2 or 8.4
    Neck 7 ish I think

Sounds good to me
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Used to have a PRS Soapie McCarty that sounded fantastic. Great pickups.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Please excuse the hijack but does anyone have experience with Stacked P90's, I have some in my new guitar but I don't know how they compare to normal ones. 

My guitar has the Wilkinson Stacked ones and while they do sound really good, I don't want to be missing out. 
  • Please excuse the hijack but does anyone have experience with Stacked P90's, I have some in my new guitar but I don't know how they compare to normal ones. 

My guitar has the Wilkinson Stacked ones and while they do sound really good, I don't want to be missing out. 
    Doesn't sound like you're missing out at all. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Please excuse the hijack but does anyone have experience with Stacked P90's, I have some in my new guitar but I don't know how they compare to normal ones. 

They can usually be coil tapped to get lower wind output, though this feature is not used in many of the Vintage brand guitars in which they are installed! Try it and see if you like it.