Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

BMW drivers

What's Hot

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3962
    I have to admit to having a little race today in Swindon. I let him go  ;) once we reached the speed limit but before that it was a dead heat. It was a 225d. I need that remap now  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited October 2016
    strtdv said:
    I have a 125d.
    I don't really see the need for winter tyres as such, just go on a driving course that teaches you how to handle a RWD car in slippery conditions. I've driven in snow with no issues, you just need to be aware of the fact that you'll drift, and control it when you do.
    Regardless of drive skill, winter tyres do give more grip below 7 degC. Invaluable if you live in rural area with dark, untreated roads and black ice esp if other members of your family drive the car who aren't as competent. 

It is a big outlay though so does put people off. In Germany its more or less manditory to have winter tyres for correct insurance. They think we're daft not fitting them, but given we only sporadic cold periods it understandable people arent keen to invest. 

(Edit to add, i do not have winter tyres for either of our current cars and dont intend to)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • derndern Frets: 357
    strtdv said:
    I have a 125d.
    I don't really see the need for winter tyres as such, just go on a driving course that teaches you how to handle a RWD car in slippery conditions. I've driven in snow with no issues, you just need to be aware of the fact that you'll drift, and control it when you do.
    If I didn't have them I couldn't get off my drive. Probably insufficient skill I Imagine ;)
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6268
    IMO unless you live in a rural area, and one that gets routine bad weather in the winter, winter tyres just aren't worth it.

I live high up in the North, with plenty of countryside on my doorstep. In the last umpteen years, I can remember only one really bad snow period, 2010. Apart from that, if it (on the very rare occassion) gets bad for a few days, just don't go out!

If it is so bad that you need winter tyres, most other people won't be goin anywhere either, so you ain't missing much. Honestly I think the whole winter tyre thing is a gimmick we;ve been sold by the tyre companies.

in the countries where its mandatory, it is mandatory for a reason- they get a lot of snow.

We don't.

Cheap solution - in winter just make sure you have a shovel, a blanket (to put under a wheel) and a set of wheelsocks in the boot. That will get you out of trouble. Those wheel socks are about £40 a set on ebay. got some for my wife's mini - superb. Fit on in a few minutes, and grip like you wouldnt believe. Yes you can only drive at low speed in them, but if the gtound is that bad, you aren't going to be bazzing around.

better still, and cheaper, set of snow chains.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    I swapped over to my winter wheels/tyres on Saturday (E91 320D). I wouldn't be without them these days living in rural North Yorkshire. We're a one-car family so need to be able to get out and about in all conditions. I bought a cheap set of genuine BMW alloys from gumtree and got the winter tyres put on there - they work amazingly well and are a softer ride than the summers (17" normals compared to 18" runflats) and are cheaper to replace than the summer ones too!

I've got a set of 16" steel wheels with winter tyres (from my old 1series) available to buy for cheap if anyone's interested? (not that the above was supposed to be a sales pitch!)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12495
    Snap said:
    Deadman said:
    Cheers @Snap can't see your image though unfortunately. Old people eh!?

weird, I can see it fine, lets see if this works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f01prsnsm4q6ehh/Photo 19-09-2016, 18 37 29.jpg?raw=1

Each to his own and all that but I always think the X6 looks an odd car. It's like they've grafted the top of a 3 series onto the bottom of an X5 and then stuck a foot pump up its arse to blow it up till it's like a hugely overgrown Tonka toy. 
    @boogieman

yes it is a love/hate car. I like the fact its pretty monstrous. amazing to drive. It realy does handle like a coupe, very clever.

The tonka thing is bang on, that's what I like too!

Mine has/will have enormous back tyres too, 315s.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12495
    Snap said:
    @boogieman

yes it is a love/hate car. I like the fact its pretty monstrous. amazing to drive. It realy does handle like a coupe, very clever.

Strewth! 315 is enormous, they'll cost a few bob. The tyres on our Jag are £135 a corner and they're waaaaay smaller. 

• SporkySporky Frets: 29106
    Snap said:

in the countries where its mandatory, it is mandatory for a reason- they get a lot of snow.

Winter tyres aren't just about snow (though they are massively grippier on snow than summer tyres are). They also stay grippier when it's cold - below about 7C - and they displace water better.

They don't even cost more overall, because whenever they're on you're not wearing down your summer tyres.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 501
    They are always in the way.

Sporky said:
    Snap said:

Winter tyres aren't just about snow (though they are massively grippier on snow than summer tyres are). They also stay grippier when it's cold - below about 7C - and they displace water better.

They don't even cost more overall, because whenever they're on you're not wearing down your summer tyres.
    Mate, its a nonsense, a con trick. good tyres grip fine in the wet and the cold.

a set of winter tyres for my car would be about a grand. I go through tyres about every 30k miles or so. I change my car maybe every 3 years. Its a waste of money IMO.

I remain sceptical, but open to being convinced.

Just you watch, I bet this year clever arse me will get marooned in a snow fall, and spend the night walking home or something!
    boogieman said:
    Snap said:
    @boogieman

Strewth! 315 is enormous, they'll cost a few bob. The tyres on our Jag are £135 a corner and they're waaaaay smaller. 

Gets worse, cos they are run flats. I had a puncture at 5k miles. Brilliant. Near new tyre had to be replaced cos you can't repair a run flat. It cost 280 quid I think!! And that was after shopping around.

I've had punctures twice in run flats, both times I have been on a journey and its a royal pain in the arse. LAst time, I was on my way to Heathrow and had just set off. I had no option but to drive all the way (170 miles) on the run flat. Kept having to stop and pump the tyre up so I could drive at a reasonable speed so I didnt miss the flight. Run flats are clever though, as the drive is pretty good on a puncture and they last for ages, even when punctured.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Sporky said:
    Snap said:

And most of them are Mud&Snow marked too so they'll help you get your RWD car off that muddy and slippery field/car park at any time of year :-)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    you might have got me with the mud bit ;)

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1957
    We bought a set of Winter tyres for my wife's previous beemer. They were cheap as chips (think the alloys cost c.£60 each new from Germany) and although you have to initially shell out for a full set of new tyres, once bought, you are just wearing a different set. We will be able to sell the wheels for maybe half / third of what we paid, so it's the cost of a couple of fill ups.

They are massively better than summer tyres when temperatures drop. Relative to the cost of owning a car, winter tyres are a no brainer. If you live in an urban area, I can understand people not being bothered, but if you travel long distances or you live in a rural area, I think they are well worth the cost.

• derndern Frets: 357
    Snap said:
    Sporky said:
    Snap said:

Mate, its a nonsense, a con trick. good tyres grip fine in the wet and the cold.
    It really isn't. Try some, or don't, but if you haven't tried them how do you know?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29106
    edited November 2016
    Snap said:

Good tyres grip passably in the wet and cold. Good winter tyres grip harder in the wet and cold.

I've run winter tyres for 4 of the last 5 years - this winter just gone I've been in hire cars. They definitely make a difference, and they're cost neutral because you're not wearing your summer tyres out while the winters are on.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33933
    edited November 2016
    dern said:
    Snap said:
    Sporky said:
    Snap said:

It really isn't. Try some, or don't, but if you haven't tried them how do you know?
    +1.
    I've lived in some properly snowy countries (Switzerland, North West USA) and everyone switches over to winter tyres in the winter.

Whether they are needed in this country depends on where you live, what and how you drive, how many miles you do, whether you can live with the inconvenience of not being able to drive during snowy days and such.

@octatonic ; -thats the point I was trying to make really: most people don't need them in this country. We don't get regular bad weather, and when we do get it, its only for a few days. That's why I think the whole thing (in the UK) is a marketing ploy.

Every car I've owned has had good tyres on it, its something I don't mind paying for. Not one has been poor in the wet or the cold. They all stopped and gripped just fine.

Maybe I should stop gobbing off and try some eh? But I don't fancy paying a grand for the pleasure.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33933
    Snap said:
    @octatonic ; -thats the point I was trying to make really: most people don't need them in this country. We don't get regular bad weather, and when we do get it, its only for a few days. That's why I think the whole thing (in the UK) is a marketing ploy.

Every car I've owned has had good tyres on it, its something I don't mind paying for. Not one has been poor in the wet or the cold. They all stopped and gripped just fine.

Maybe I should stop gobbing off and try some eh? But I don't fancy paying a grand for the pleasure.

Cool, I guess we mostly agree then. :)
    Perhaps you don't need them.
    I now live in an Oxfordshire village and all 4 roads out of the village involve quite steep hills in one directions or another.
    I'n told that when we get snow you just can't get out of the village on regular tyres.

I didn't have winter tyres on my last car- we lived in London so no point.
    I haven't purchased any so far for our current cars (both arrived in the last 4 months)- I'm just waiting to see if we need them.