TPP Jimmy Page No1 and No2 relic Les Pauls

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4805
edited October 2016 in Guitar
I'm a great Jimmy Page fan and these caught my eye on EBay.  I wondered if anyone on TFB has had any experience of these guitars and The Painted Player Guitar Company and if these are goodies that are worth the money or are a 'steer clear'? 

No1: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TPP-Jimmy-Page-No-1-Number-One-Gibson-USA-Les-Paul-Standard-Relic-Tribute-/302112865829?hash=item4657547e25:g:o90AAOSwzgRWwvhA

No2: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TPP-Jimmy-Page-No-2-Number-Two-Gibson-USA-Les-Paul-Standard-Relic-Tribute-/302112864359?hash=item4657547867:g:PZIAAOSwyQtVkWBi

http://www.thepaintedplayer.co.uk

Cheers

Rich
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6939
    @gassage owns or did (it was for sale) an Andy Summers Tele by TPP.

The only question you need to ask yourself is given that in today's market you won't pay more than £1200 for a good used standard - are the mods worth over £1k on these guitars?

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    Don't waste your money

I only looked at the back and it looks horrible 

It's only a standard with Seymour Duncan's which I don't like anyway and don't sound like pafs 

There are much better pafs out there 
    Mojo, wizz ox4 that's a few 

A secondhand standard is much better value if you want to go down that route
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    An I missing something or are these just a rewired les Paul with a change of pickup and (imo) not great relicing to the finish?   

Looking through his other sales its a great idea for a business if they are selling - grab cheap used guitars and refinish/mod them to match well known and famous guitars and double the price.      
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    edited October 2016
    I would avoid like the plague... there isn't £1k worth of value added to either of those, in fact they are arguably worth less following some of the, erm, modifications. Find a Les Paul that plays well and suits you, and you really won't care what it looks like.
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • ColsCols Frets: 7301
    You'd be better off buying a nice new honeyburst Les Paul, getting a set of really good pickups and dropping an aftermarket wiring harness in for all the Pagey switching options.  Caveat emptor with TPP is that the photos on eBay are 'illustrative only', and they don't accept returns.

Plus, the examples in the ads look frankly over-reliced to me.
  • remember also that as soon as he started playing les pauls his tone was shit, his fingering off and he dribbled
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31155
    The one I got was great in every aspect, but not reliced. The attn to detail is good.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4805
    Thanks guys - seems the majority consensus is 'steer clear'.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • mortmort Frets: 720
    Clearly a business but selling on EBay on a private account.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4254
    edited October 2016
    I'd go for a used R7/8 at those prices and be done with it; I love relics as much as anyone but paying someone to do an okay job at copying one particular guitars dents and scrapes is beyond my comprehension.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I'd go for a used R7/8 at those prices and be done with it; I love relics as much as anyone but paying someone to do an okay job at copying one particular guitars dents and scrapes is beyond my comprehension.
    Actually, that was my plan (per older thread)...to go and try lots of R7,8&9s and see what I like. It's just that these aroused my curiosity.  I'm waiting for certain financial matters to finalise and hope to be in a position to treat myself in Q1 next year. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9782
    edited October 2016
    mort said:
    I don't like the lengthy Terms & Conditions small print. For a start, he says that the guitar you will be sent is not the one in the photos! Also he claims that "The Painted Player Guitar Co" is a registered trade mark and it's not (I've checked). The bit about "if there's any damage it's not our responsibility, blame the courier" is also dodgy. The whole thing smacks of intimidating the buyer to not seek redress if they're not happy for whatever reason.

Way overpriced as well - £1299 for an Epiphone!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers guys...appreciate all the responses. Rest assured I'm passing on these.  ;)
  • ColsCols Frets: 7301
    mort said:
    I don't like the lengthy Terms & Conditions small print. For a start, he says that the guitar you will be sent is not the one in the photos! Also he claims that "The Painted Player Guitar Co" is a registered trade mark and it's not (I've checked). The bit about "if there's any damage it's not our responsibility, blame the courier" is also dodgy. The whole thing smacks of intimidating the buyer to not seek redress if they're not happy for whatever reason.

Way overpriced as well - £1299 for an Epiphone!
    I guess the markup for relicing and rewiring in the same regardless of the donor guitar.

I remember looking at the small print in the past and being frankly appalled.  If the item arrives damaged the buyer should chase the courier?  The courier is paid directly by TPP, and they're the only one who can seek redress.