Rickenbacker 6 string - what strings?

What's Hot
Anyone had great success with non-Rickenbacker string sets?

I'm hopefully swapping bridge out soon for Mastery so was eyeing up what strings to put on there too as the Rickenbacker ones don't seem all that, to me at least. Plus I like 11s!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've never even heard of ric strings! D'addrio 10s on my 330 without any issue. Love the stock bridge too 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73087
    11s with a wound 3rd. I use either D'Addarios or Dean Markleys.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    I don't know but the neck is presumably so narrow I'd be tempted to just put four on.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• ICBM said:
    11s with a wound 3rd. I use either D'Addarios or Dean Markleys.
    Cool. This works on other guitars so will do this too.

I've never even heard of ric strings! D'addrio 10s on my 330 without any issue. Love the stock bridge too 
    I'm sure it's incompetence in me setting guitar up. But it just isn't sounding right on a few strings, I'll call it "plinky". Thought I'd throw money at it with a new bridge rather than try and do something for free and angle the bridge or something :)

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Ric recently changed their traditional string gauges - used to be 10-42, they are now 10-46 - you can get a copy of the original Ric strings from Rickysounds - and they are pretty good.

Nickel round wounds sound good if you want that 60s vibe..
    The Ric strings used to be compressed-wound, which is why the wound strings seemed an unusually small gauge - they're actually just as heavy as normal, but squeezed into a smaller overall diameter. It would be sad if they've abandoned that for the sake of offering 'conventional' gauges.

A wound 3rd is really important, I find - even a 10 set with a 17 G sounds a bit too clangy really. Not sure why it should be more so on a Rick than other guitars - although Gretsches are like that too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited October 2016
    ICBM said:
    The Ric strings used to be compressed-wound, which is why the wound strings seemed an unusually small gauge - they're actually just as heavy as normal, but squeezed into a smaller overall diameter. It would be sad if they've abandoned that for the sake of offering 'conventional' gauges.

A wound 3rd is really important, I find - even a 10 set with a 17 G sounds a bit too clangy really. Not sure why it should be more so on a Rick than other guitars - although Gretsches are like that too.
    Yep that's exactly what they have done.

Rickysounds have compressed wound made by the same factory but not badged as Ric strings. I've tried them and they are the same

oh, and they label them at the 'compressed' gauge - hence 10-42
    Bridgehouse said:

Rickysounds have compressed wound made by the same factory but not badged as Ric strings. I've tried them and they are the same
    It's a shame they're still not offering 11s. The 12s are just a bit too heavy for me sadly.

ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

It's a shame they're still not offering 11s. The 12s are just a bit too heavy for me sadly.
    That's Ric for you - do what they like when they like ;)

I never liked the compressed wound with their high gain pups - much nicer with the toasters tho 
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640

Nickel round wounds sound good if you want that 60s vibe..
    Pyramid flat wounds are better...
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I use ordinary D;Addario 10's on my 360 with no problem. It has early 80's Hi-gain pickups in it so that may be why it doesn't sound too clanky. 

On my 12-string I use Newtone 12-string sets, which supposedly replicate compressed-wound Ric strings. They're much cheaper and sound really good. They do a 6-string set too.
    dogload said:
    I use ordinary D;Addario 10's on my 360 with no problem. It has early 80's Hi-gain pickups in it so that may be why it doesn't sound too clanky.
    Yes, those sound better with lighter roundwounds - and as Bridgehouse said, not so good with the compressed ones.

• GassageGassage Frets: 31155
    Try E, A, D, G, B, E.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd recommend Pyramid gold flatwound 11's....

I'd recommend Pyramid gold flatwound 11's....
    I've wanted to try them for a while now - will have to give them a go
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14828
    tFB Trader
    10-52's if you still like 10's  - thicker bottom 3 strings for additional meat and as such they tend to stay more in tune/rigid when you attack them  - 11-49's fine as well

If unsure about flat wound option then try D'addario 1/2 wound - they do a 10-52 option - touch more clarity than a pure flat wound string
  • I'd recommend Pyramid gold flatwound 11's....

I've not tried flatwounds yet. So think I'll get a set and see...
  • I can highly recommend them if your after that 60's flavour on any type of semi.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I've broken one of the strings on my 12 string 360..
    Going to have to sell it now...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Cabicular said:
    I've broken one of the strings on my 12 string 360..
    Going to have to sell it now...
    Aye, I can understand that - restringing a Ric 12 string is a real pain... ;)
    We are all Chameleons...