easy jazz song piece

What's Hot
hi all,

i hope this is in the right section.

im not a huge jazz fan, but ok with the sound of some guitar jazz. i want to explore this a little more.

i know all basic jazz chords and theory including chord extensions. im looking for a simple easy song to learn to put these chords to some musicality. i was wondering if you can send me some suggestions

thanks in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10724
    Girl from Ipanema
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Satin doll 
  • Autumn Leaves
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33846

GFI and Satin Doll are good suggestions as well.
    As with all jazz songs it isn't just playing the basic chords that matters- it is understanding what is going on harmonically, being able to play the head, then being able to solo through the changes.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Barney said:
    Satin doll 
    Kill me now...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Giant Steps
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Megii said:
    Giant Steps
    Let's see a video of you playing this then. :)
    octatonic said:
    Megii said:
    Giant Steps
    I was being flippant, sorry must have woken up in a funny mood - admit I would struggle a bit with Giant Steps, so I'm not about to post any video. Although it is a fun bit of music.

I've always found Satin Doll to be twee, tedious, predictable and dull, and not fun at all. It often gets suggested as a learning jazz piece, because it has 2-5's in it and doesn't move around too much, but it's like musical valium for me. But that is just me, no offence intended.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Megii said:
    octatonic said:
    Megii said:
    Giant Steps
    I was being flippant, sorry must have woken up in a funny mood - admit I would struggle a bit with Giant Steps, so I'm not about to post any video. Although it is a fun bit of music.

I've always found Satin Doll to be twee, tedious, predictable and dull, and not fun at all. It often gets suggested as a learning jazz piece, because it has 2-5's in it and doesn't move around too much, but it's like musical valium for me. But that is just me, no offence intended.
    I know- I was only joking as well.

Satin Doll isn't my favourite piece either- but it is a good piece to learn with.
    Giant Steps is a monster.
    octatonic said:
    Megii said:
    octatonic said:
    Megii said:
    Giant Steps

I know- I was only joking as well.

Satin Doll isn't my favourite piece either- but it is a good piece to learn with.
    Giant Steps is a monster.
    Called my bluff nicely there @octatonic. :D Actually this conversation reminds me that a couple of years or so ago I vowed to properly master Giant Steps, and have done nearly nothing towards that goal since I'm afraid. I really should get working on that - I found this video a while ago, which is interesting:

Apologies for the thread hijack @finest1. A good minor key tune for playing in a Latin kind of jazz style, which isn't too tricky is "Sunny" if I can put that one in. :)
    Very nice @Megii ;

I don't have a recording of me attempting Giant Steps but here is me playing the head of Donna Lee.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    Very nice @Megii ;

I don't have a recording of me attempting Giant Steps but here is me playing the head of Donna Lee.
    Nicely done @octatonic :)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Megii said:
    Barney said:
    Satin doll 
    Kill me now...
    AKA Satan's Doll ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016
    Minor 251 equivalent is Blue Bossa (AKA Blue Tosser)

Both this and Satan's Doll aren't liked as they are over-played by beginners (to the point of distraction usually) - but the fundamentals are all there.

Feedback
  • vizviz Frets: 10724
    No more blues is great fun
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Just as an aside, @Jalapeno's post reminded me that I've come across a few comedy titles for jazz tunes, three that I can  think of: "You stepped out of a drain", "Black Orifice" and of course that perennial favourite "I've got you under my sink". :)
    Megii said:
    octatonic said:
    Very nice @Megii ;

Nicely done @octatonic :)
    Thanks- I'm trying to get it back up to speed at the moment.
    Megii said:
    Just as an aside, @Jalapeno's post reminded me that I've come across a few comedy titles for jazz tunes, three that I can  think of: "You stepped out of a drain", "Black Orifice" and of course that perennial favourite "I've got you under my sink". :)
    It's a noble tradition ;)

Feedback
  • thanks to all, i will check out the songs you all recommended
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I like this version of Giant Steps.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom