any Knaggs Kenai experiences?

What's Hot
tabanotabano Frets: 100
Hi all,
great forum this one!
long time lurker here but today I decided post,
is there any of you here that has had the chance to try and most important compare a Kenai ( tier 3 in particular)
with a les Paul reissue?
I live in London and here is nearly impossible to find one!
any info much appreciated!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5517
    Yes. The Knaggs, by virtue of its body thickness and custom bridge design isn't quite as midrangey as a Les Paul, but it's got more going on in its harmonics, if that makes sense, so it's pretty "sparkly" compared to a Lester. The body thickness and back bevel mean that the guitar is miles more ergonomic and also has a tendency to be lighter than most LPs. Couple that with a smarter headstock angle and better tuning stability and it's all a little more refined a package. A Tier 3 is likely to have Seymour Duncan SH1s, btw, and they are perfectly serviceable as an all-rounder but obviously flipping them out for something more to your tastes is easy enough. You might find the odd Tier 3 that came with SH-55s (Seth Lovers) or even David Allen P51s as stock but those will be fairly rare. 

If you track down a used one, be aware that the switch position moved a couple years ago. It used to be behind the control knobs, now it's in a more classic upper-bout position. 

Not much out there sounds just like a Les Paul - and indeed Knaggs' own SSC model is actually closer still to one than a Kenai is, but the Kenai is still an absolutely outstanding instrument that certainly nods in the general direction of the LP but does its own thing really well, and is far more comfortable to play. The neck carve is just awesome. 
  • tabanotabano Frets: 100
    Wow!
    thanks so much for this extended description!
    it sounds pretty much like what I am after then,I will be getting one in 6 weeks or so (I will be ordering tonight)
    and I'll make sure that the 3 way switch is behind the controls,right where I like it,
    again many thanks whitecat, really helpful!
    If you're ordering from new I think you won't be able to get the switch on the upper bout without a significant extra charge but you can always inquire. Good luck, look forward to seeing pics here once you get it!
    Well,
    it's now done,ordered!
    it is new,I am going to try to find out about the switch position,I was told that it will take them around 6 weeks to build it so I going to see if I can get it where I want,
    I will post some pics when it's here (I have to learn how though..)
    thanks again whitecat,
    Can I ask what colour you went for?
    Sure,
    faded onyx tier 3
    Cool!!! Enjoy the wait..!