Now Reduced - Cash Converters Harmony H75

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
edited November 2016 in Guitar

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    Fuuuuuuuck

where do you find these, mate? One of fave guitars - massively underrated 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Considering I could have purchased 3 of these on Sunday at Crewe for between £200 - £300 less, a wee bit overpriced too. IIRC, my H75 was only £350.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73121
    edited November 2016
    impmann said:

One of fave guitars - massively underrated 
    But rather typically for Crack Converters, not massively underpriced.

Very cool guitar, and that one looks to be in very nice condition, but that's also very much top money for one. They're quite rare over here, but so common in the US that it's not hard to find one and import it for less.

The internet has made it very difficult to get bargains on stuff which is easily identifiable now. More usually, these shops will have something like this but with some really major flaw - like three DiMarzio Super Distortions :) - and they still want top whack for it.

(Edit: HarrySeven beat me to it. Probably by waffling less ;).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
    edited November 2016
    By a strange coincidence, there is a Harmony H75 with "Viewing by Daytime Appointment in Walsall" on eBay at the moment.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14847
    tFB Trader
    it is interesting that some one has to supply them with enough info to make a price of any format - To a total novice it has no major brand name behind it and as such you could just as well find one at a car boot sale for £10 and on that thinking why do crack converters not propose say £50/100 - So someone must think it has a value hence you now have a totally stupid valuation by an uninformed dimwit now of £900 - hope that makes sense
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73121
    it is interesting that some one has to supply them with enough info to make a price of any format - To a total novice it has no major brand name behind it and as such you could just as well find one at a car boot sale for £10 and on that thinking why do crack converters not propose say £50/100 - So someone must think it has a value hence you now have a totally stupid valuation by an uninformed dimwit now of £900 - hope that makes sense
    It's pretty easy to do a Google search for 'Harmony guitar' until you find a pic of one that looks the same, and follow it to a dealer's website with a price.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    In contrast, the clarinet seems to be good value.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • it is interesting that some one has to supply them with enough info to make a price of any format - To a total novice it has no major brand name behind it and as such you could just as well find one at a car boot sale for £10 and on that thinking why do crack converters not propose say £50/100 - So someone must think it has a value hence you now have a totally stupid valuation by an uninformed dimwit now of £900 - hope that makes sense

As a total novice myself in the realm of slightly obscure vintage guitar pricing, I did what anyone with a single brain cell rattling around in his head might do, and googled "Harmony guitar".

By looking at the image search I can work out that it's an H-seventy-something (if I had the guitar in front of me I might be able to find a model number on it somewhere to make it easier). If you then google "Harmony H75", you get two results on the first page from UK dealers selling similar guitars- one at £1250, one at £795.

http://www.newtonsguitarshop.co.uk/1962-harmony-h75-electric-guitar-1710-p.asp

http://vintageandrareguitars.com/just-harmony-h74-795/

...if they made it to page 3 of the results there's a Gumtree ad asking £1200:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/harmony-h75/1188807814

Split the difference and you've got Cash Converters' price, more or less. I suspect that's pretty much how they worked out how to price it.

Which is not to say that they didn't offer the poor sap who sold it to them a tenner for it.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284
    Possibly something to do with Dan Auerbach conspicuously rocking one on the pyramid stage at Glastonbury...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    tFB Trader
    @ICBM  and @english_bob  - both very valid comments
    edited November 2016
    UPDATE re. Case - apparently, it arrived in a gigbag.

• ICBM said:
    It's pretty easy to do a Google search for 'Harmony guitar' until you find a pic of one that looks the same, and follow it to a dealer's website with a price.
    I'm pretty sure this is exactly how they work out prices.

I once tried to sell an old Peavey bass amp to a Cash Converter (no interest from the local music shop, it was huge, I wanted rid). They couldn't find it on eBay or google so were only prepared to offer me pence in case that was all they could shift it for. I kept it and sold it eventually to a guy on Musicradar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

I once tried to sell an old Peavey bass amp to a Cash Converter (no interest from the local music shop, it was huge, I wanted rid). They couldn't find it on eBay or google so were only prepared to offer me pence in case that was all they could shift it for. I kept it and sold it eventually to a guy on Musicradar.
    makes an interesting thought that anyone can be an 'expert' if they can find it on google and price accordingly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

makes an interesting thought that anyone can be an 'expert' if they can find it on google and price accordingly
    This (sadly) pretty much sums up the world we live in. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • makes an interesting thought that anyone can be an 'expert' if they can find it on google and price accordingly
    I don't doubt that many such "experts" are muddying the waters of eBay and Gumtree, plying their trade in Cash Converters the length and breadth of Britain, then retiring and volunteering in the back rooms of charity shops, pricing LPs with a well-thumbed and horribly out of date donated Record Collector publication of some sort. 

edited November 2016

Interesting update - popped in at lunchtime and spoke to who I assume was the manager. Very nice guy and helpful re. the guitar.

It's in great condition.

He informed me that the guitar was an item which had been pawned (and not collected), so they're trying to recover as much as possible on it. He also said that they'd put it on eBay.

They're aware that the price is "optimistic" and that more realistic figure of £600 - £700 may be more appropriate, although they originally did do what has been discussed above - checked out eBay/shop prices, etc (and found stuff between £750 - £1.2K).

He did say that it will probably be reduced to a lower price.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6835
    Someone needs to buy it. There's one currently in Mudpie Music in Brighton, currently priced at £1395. 

• He informed me that the guitar was an item which had been pawned (and not collected), so they're trying to recover as much as possible on it. He also said that they'd put it on eBay.

I thought that was the deal with everything they sell? They hold anything you sell them for a certain amount of time (partly to satisfy the law on stolen goods I think), during which you have the option to buy it back (for more than they paid you), then if you don't it's theirs to sell. 

The fact that they're "trying to recover as much as possible on it" now (that's basic business sense, surely?) doesn't mean they didn't give someone a tenner for it.

• He informed me that the guitar was an item which had been pawned (and not collected), so they're trying to recover as much as possible on it. He also said that they'd put it on eBay.

I thought that was the deal with everything they sell? They hold anything you sell them for a certain amount of time (partly to satisfy the law on stolen goods I think), during which you have the option to buy it back (for more than they paid you), then if you don't it's theirs to sell. 

The fact that they're "trying to recover as much as possible on it" now (that's basic business sense, surely?) doesn't mean they didn't give someone a tenner for it.

Indeed.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    By a strange coincidence, there is a Harmony H75 with "Viewing by Daytime Appointment in Walsall" on eBay at the moment.
    I grew up near there. I wouldn't want to view anything there - even in the daytime