Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So, School Me On Gretsch Guitars...

What's Hot

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    True the internet is always wrong.

I really came close to buying one about 10 years ago. 

This 64 looks amazingly similar to the one Squire is playing and very different to the pic you posted ?

https://reverb.com/uk/item/217215-gretsch-country-gentleman-1964-walnut?_aid=pla&pla=1&gclid=CLH7gK2ImtACFSQz0wodRW8IIA

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I also always wanted black felts on any country gentleman as I always thought the red ones looked a bit silly and distracting.
  • Anyway (!), back to the Filtertrons !!

Difference vs tge other Gretsch pick ups ?
  • capo4th said:

This 64 looks amazingly similar to the one Squire is playing and very different to the pic you posted ?

https://reverb.com/uk/item/217215-gretsch-country-gentleman-1964-walnut?_aid=pla&pla=1&gclid=CLH7gK2ImtACFSQz0wodRW8IIA

They are great guitars, but hard to find clean ones these days.
    All the 60s ones are very simular with just slight differences.
    The most sort after ones are the 64s with the red felt double lever mute system. 
    Sorry if I've bored you, I need to get out more. Ha ha ha.

capo4th said:

They are great guitars, but hard to find clean ones these days.
    All the 60s ones are very simular with just slight differences.
    The most sort after ones are the 64s with the red felt double lever mute system. 
    Sorry if I've bored you, I need to get out more. Ha ha ha.

Not at all mate love Squires tunes and his gear. I am in intrigued now and will probably start threads on the Gretsch pages to get an answer. 

Apologies Waz
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1755
    edited November 2016
    Anyway (!), back to the Filtertrons !!

Difference vs tge other Gretsch pick up

Calling @marlin

Marlin is very clued up on pick ups n the electronics.

I'm afraid I have no interest in all the talk about different pickgups and the different sounds. 
  • Anyway (!), back to the Filtertrons !!

Calling @marlin

I'm afraid I have no interest in all the talk about different pickguard up and the different sounds. 
    Apologies.

I simply thought owning all those lovely Gretsches you could offer some insight. 
    No probs - Ill rely on my own ears.
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1755
    edited November 2016
    Anyway (!), back to the Filtertrons !!

Calling @marlin

I'm afraid I have no interest in all the talk about different pickguard up and the different sounds. 
    Apologies.

I simply thought owning all those lovely Gretsches you could offer some insight. 
    No probs - Ill rely on my own ears.

It's all very subjective. 
    only you can decide what sounds good to you.
    As I have already said try to get out there and try as many different models yourself,
    It's doesn't matter how much your spending.

Yes I can give you an insight, in simple terms only you can decide what sounds and plays good to you.

When I says I have no interest in different pickup, what I mean is that I'm bothered about the overall sound which doesn't just come from the pick ups. 
    Players ability n amp us very important too.
    So don't get hooked on all the theory go off what sounds good to you. 

Regards dave
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9724
    edited November 2016
    Cheers Dave,

Thats exactly what I did today ! Its hard to get the variety of models in one place though; and I can certainly see why you could own SO many models. Thats why advice is needed... @marlin

I initially thought that the Gretsch could be a secondary guitar; but now i can see it offers core sounds, and being possibly my main instrument. Amazing...
  • Cheers Dave,

Thats exactly what I did today ! Its hard to get the variety of models in one place though; and I can certainly see why you could own SO many models. Thats why advice is needed... @marlin

I initially thought that the Gretsch could be a secondary guitar; but now i can see it offers core sounds, and being possibly my main instrument. Amazing...

Marlin just seems knows all the ins and outs of different pickguard ups more than me that's all, lol.

On a serious note I wouldn't rule out a vintage gretsch. 
    If your prepared to look and wait there's some good old gretsches out there for simular money to a new one.

• Waz if you can get to play the stills falcon or the setzer 6120 they are amazing guitars and ran rings around the player edition falcon I had. The other great one was the bamboo yellow anniversary model they did that was a fantastic guitar.
  • leerocker said:
    Waz if you can get to play the stills falcon or the setzer 6120 they are amazing guitars and ran rings around the player edition falcon I had. The other great one was the bamboo yellow anniversary model they did that was a fantastic guitar.
    Lee, there is actually a Stills Falcon in Bham, and Im revisiting tomorrow...

What were the advantages to you of the Stills over the Player ? (which I loved)
  • Love Dan's video...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Damn.. so the Stone Roses/J Squire are why I loved the sound of a Gretsch - never realised.
    One of my favourite ever songs that (genuine prog rock era old fart here).
  • Im very much edging towards a Black Falcon...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I Googled to see what an Anniversary model was, as mine's 2008 and has a 125th plate on the headstock. IIRC it has a TV Jones Powertron in the bridge and Classic TV in the next.

• I Googled to see what an Anniversary model was, as mine's 2008 and has a 125th plate on the headstock. IIRC it has a TV Jones Powertron in the bridge and Classic TV in the next.

It SHOULD have a Powertron in there neck too. That's the same model as mine, with the neck pickup in a deeper position than other Gretsches. Sublime-sounding guitar.
  • I bought mine used and the pickups had been replaced. I found an old email, with Falcon spec from Gretsch's website, (which may be different  from Anniversary models, I'll give you that) :)

"Dual FilterTron Humbucker. Toggle switch, Volume for each Pickups, 1 Toneregler, Bigsby Tremolo, 24K Gold Hardware, Color black, incl. Case."

Spec in the ad for mine said "125th Anniversary Gretsch Black Falcon upgraded with TV Jones pickups; Power'Tron in the bridge and Classic in the neck... *snip* ...original High Sensitive Filter'Tronpickups".

The Dan's video above is cool.  Amazing how you can get lost playing alone with a guitar's clean sound and have different noisy fun playing with others, with the same guitar.
  • Well, Ive received some stonking advice and info on this thread, and so a big THANKS to all who have contributed and PM'd advice...

Ive been trying and comparing quite a few lately... the outcome for me personally was that the Players Editions (PE) sounded and felt best.

Im brand new to Gretsch, bizarrely, and was initially influenced by the Dans Gretsch video on That Pedal Show. I say bizarrely as a lot of my fave artists have played them.

After trying plenty, the two that 'spoke' to me were the 6118T Anniversary (PE) and the 6136T Falcon (PE). I loved the tuning stability and the sound of the Filtertrons. The thinner (2.25") body I found much more preferrable, especially against the much wider normal Falcon body.

I also much preferred the single pickup toggle (on the upper bout) to the double (mud switch ?) system; and was amazed at the range of sounds offered by rolling back the two volumes and the master volume.

This one below is the one Im hoping to purchase;

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/3b51788f3bcc273c7a70e5da6f67c816.jpg
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom