Jazzmaster bridge problems

What's Hot
longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
Following on from this thread I'm still having a couple of problems with the bridge:

1. Strings rattling behind the bridge - I'm sure I saw something about a device that fits behind the bridge that increases the string angle of the strings and getting rid of the rattle (a bit like a Bigsby B7 does) but I can't for the life of me find it!
2. The grooves in the string saddles are too wide for the top 3 strings, so when I'm bending strings they're moving and choking.

Any ideas for fixes chaps?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Staytrem or mastery bridge

As for the rattles you might find that your strings are touching the domed screw heads on the trem unit??
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If you must... google Buzzstop. But please don't because they're horrible and kill all those lovely harmonics that make a JM sound so bloody good.

A Staytrem or Mastery bridge fixes #2 completely, and #1 mostly. Or for a cheaper solution, graphtech saddles work really nicely, but don't look as nice.

And @ICBM is convinced the standard bridge is fine with fettling, but this is in fact the one area where he is wrong. You *can* make the standard bridge work with some nail polish and a shim and thicker strings if you can bear them, but it's not worth it imo.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Total echo the thoughts about the stock bridge. It's a great idea poorly executed. 

And have to agree about the buzzstop, they are hideous
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • +1 for the Staytrem bridge. I can see what Leo was thinking when he designed the original bridge, but you don't need to be able to change the radius on a bridge unless you change the radius on the neck (unlikely). The Staytrem is a well-engineered solution to many problems - there are less things to work loose (individual saddle height adjusters), and other things that can work loose (the overall height adjusters) are prevented from working loose.

Srsly, just get one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31156
    4 pages...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    Staytrem bridge is brilliant. Love my Jaguar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929
    Go Team Staytrem!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14828
    edited November 2016 tFB Trader
    again Staytrem and Mastery bridge recommended

add to that a slightly higher action and heavier strings to create a better break angle

In many ways the Jag and Jazz were never designed to be played how we like them today, so vintage replicas possess such 'faults' - whereas classic player variations that Fender and companies like Fano adopt,  work better for more 'modern' styles  
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 662
    Have Staytrem on my Jag and have no worries since. For years I had a mustang bridge on my Jazzmaster without issue and before that used the standard bridge and once set just used locktite to stop the grub screws working their way out, it works fine. What ever you choose you will always find more stability with 11/12 gauge strings in my experience. I like flatwounds myself.
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    edited November 2016
    If you must... google Buzzstop. But please don't because they're horrible and kill all those lovely harmonics that make a JM sound so bloody good.

A Staytrem or Mastery bridge fixes #2 completely, and #1 mostly. Or for a cheaper solution, graphtech saddles work really nicely, but don't look as nice.

And @ICBM is convinced the standard bridge is fine with fettling, but this is in fact the one area where he is wrong. You *can* make the standard bridge work with some nail polish and a shim and thicker strings if you can bear them, but it's not worth it imo.
    Buzzstop! That's the one - £20 in the USA and £40 here, unbelievable. 

Cheers for the tip about replacement saddles too ;)
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    edited November 2016
    I've checked out the prices and the Staytrem and Mastery bridges and they're out of of my budget unfortunately - looks it's Locktite and Buzzstop!

Thanks very much all - much appreciated!
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1294
    tFB Trader
    JD50 said:
     For years I had a mustang bridge on my Jazzmaster without issue 
    Agreed. A standard Mustang bridge works fine. I've had one on my AVRI Jazzmaster for ten years.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Mustang bridges are great if you have a traditional radius 'board. For flatter ones you have to raise the bridge or the e strings can be a bit on the buzzy side, so it's a compromise. 

• keirkeir Frets: 144
    I've got a staytrem bridge on my jazzmaster, what size strings is everyone using? I'm on 11s now but considering 12s....
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • keir said:
    I've got a staytrem bridge on my jazzmaster, what size strings is everyone using? I'm on 11s now but considering 12s....
    11s for jag and jazzmaster here. 12s ok for jaguar bit a bit much on a full 25.75 scale neck. 
  • I use 11s on everything

I reckon a jazzmaster could take 12s easily and a jag possibly a set of 14s
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1400
    My problem with the stock jm/jag bridge is the fact that I hate threaded saddles. Hate them on everything. Putting brass saddles on my MIM tele is the only mod that needed doing.  
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3853
    Heavier strings is the way to go. 

I recently played a friends early 90s AVRI Jazzmaster and it was simply a glorious guitar. It was completely stock too, just well set up with heavy strings. There was no rattle, buzz or string slippage. 
  • I use 10s on my Jazzmasters and Jaguar with no issues. One JM (the AVRI) has the original bridge, one has a Mustang bridge, and the remaining JM and Jag have Staytrems.
     As an aside, has anyone tried Kilopoise (or similar) hard grease on JM saddle/bridge screws? I used to use the stuff on laser mirror tuning gimbals. It's incredibly viscous stuff. The idea is that a screw will only move if you adjust it. It cannot move due to vibration. If it's enough to keep a laser in tune, it should easily be good enough for a guitar.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    Been telling @meltedbuzzbox for years to stick some 11s on his Jagwire. Glad he had seen sense ;)