Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is there anything I should know that would stop me buying an FX8 MkII?

What's Hot
simonksimonk Frets: 1467
Thank you please?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Only that you might think whether the FX8 or AX8 are better for you in terms of features. Not a question I know the answer to - depends what you want. If you absolutely never want amp modelling and need real amp channel switching from the FX8 then go FX8. If you think you might want amp modelling as a back up (or even primary!) and aren't too bothered about remote amp channel switching go AX8.

For me, unity gain and better 4cm performance are a bit neither here nor there - unity gain is not that difficult to achieve with the AX8 and I couldn't hear a difference in 4cm with a real amp, but others swear by the FX8 for this and would go FX8 over AX8 for these reasons. However, at a broadly similar price I think the opportunity to have amp modelling as well makes it a bit of a no brainer to go for the AX8. 
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Do you mean buy that over the original FX8? Even tho I possibly could use the amp modelling - I still just wanted a pedalboard replacement and the scenes, Unity gain, 4cm and channel switching made it an easy decision - I don't know a lot about the changes in the Mk II tho. 
    You'd need to get on the Fractal Forum and do some reading! :) 

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    @kjdowd @Vaiai Cheers chaps!

I'm not particularly interested in amp modelling and want to continue using my amps. I've not had the previous generation FX8 so this would be a new venture for me. I'm really just trying to simplify pedal setups and ditch a few pedals.
    In which case you can't go wrong with either. I'd go ax8 as I think the utility and quality of the amp modelling will surprise you, but the fx8 might be a bit more plug and play for you and will give you amp channel switching. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    simonk said:
    @kjdowd @Vaiai Cheers chaps!

I'm not particularly interested in amp modelling and want to continue using my amps. I've not had the previous generation FX8 so this would be a new venture for me. I'm really just trying to simplify pedal setups and ditch a few pedals.
    I got mine a few months ago and have sold my pedals now - I just need standard sounds but now have the option of a a few other "pedals" I would not have had. Got an expression pedal coming today too so swapping that out for my trusty EB VP Jr.
    Got it all nice and neat on a Pedaltrain 2 and the set up at gigs is so simple.

I have had Kemper, POD HD500X and looked at Helix (which is damn good!) but never gelled with a multiFX as easily as this one - this is the first one I have gigged and felt happy with.

On fx quality and so on, I used to have a big board of boutique pedals with a Gigrig g2 but got rid of it all when I got the fx8. The quality is fantastic. 
    It's a good idea to get one or two expression pedals as @Vaiai says. Hugely increases flexibility. I have a spring loaded one for wah (set for auto on when you move it) and a normal one for volume boost for solos. 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    The MK2 is basically a tarted up MK1 - unless you are bothered by how the switches are labelled or whether you really need a higher value buffer/pad on the input, then I wouldn't bother wasting your money - I have read somewhere that the original FX8 has higher quality components in it and was replaced by the MK2 to reduce costs and to bring it in line with the AX8 pattern.
  • The one thing to keep in mind with the mk2 is that it causes up to 63% testicle shrinkage 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    The one thing to keep in mind with the mk2 is that it causes up to 63% testicle shrinkage 
    Might not be such a bad thing in my case...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    The AX8 is not designed to be used with a real amp. Consequently the noise-floor is higher. If you're just looking for FX, go fo the FX8.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited November 2016
    I didn't like the drives at all .. they sounded very digital to my ears.
    cbellanga said:
    Hmmm, not really what I wanted to hear.
  • simonk said:
    cbellanga said:
    well yeah .. They're ok for heavy stuff but I think it struggles to do any light OD / edge of breakup thing
    cbellanga said:
    The problem is they all start on default settings and after a bit of tweaking sound a lot more usable - they have also just released the new update which has revisited all the drives and improved them
  • simonk said:
    cbellanga said:
    How recently did you have it though?

There was an update to the drives very recently.  I'm on an Axe FX 2, which got the same update.  I used to tweak the EQ section of the drives I use but I don't any more, they work as expected to my ears.
    Vaiai said:
    cbellanga said:
    The problem is they all start on default settings and after a bit of tweaking sound a lot more usable - they have also just released the new update which has revisited all the drives and improved them
    I find the drives v usable for all gain levels. Bit of dialling in required but nothing too onerous. Certainly good enough for me to get rid of all my drive pedals (kot, amp11, Klon ktr, Hudson broadcast). 
    Drew_TNBD said:
    The AX8 is not designed to be used with a real amp. Consequently the noise-floor is higher. If you're just looking for FX, go fo the FX8.
    True, but it works perfectly well and while the noise floor may be higher, it isn't really noticeable. I just don't think that the fx8 noise floor and unity gain are big enough reasons to pay roughly the same money for fx only as you could for fx + amp modelling (particularly when you could use an amp block as a drive). 

Having said that ive not owned both at once and nor do I habitually use the ax8 with a real amp (though I have and ''twas fine). @wazmeister - you've got both. Thoughts?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had one of the first shipped to the UK once they launched it so I guess things have improved since then .. the drives were the only thing I didn't like in the unit :(
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    kjdowd said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    True, but it works perfectly well and while the noise floor may be higher, it isn't really noticeable. I just don't think that the fx8 noise floor and unity gain are big enough reasons to pay roughly the same money for fx only as you could for fx + amp modelling (particularly when you could use an amp block as a drive). 

Having said that ive not owned both at once and nor do I habitually use the ax8 with a real amp (though I have and ''twas fine). @wazmeister - you've got both. Thoughts?
    Well I don't really agree tbh. If you've got an amp that you really love the sound of, then you want the best conversion possible to ensure you don't ruin the sound.

FWIW I find the Helix doesn't affect my amps tone at all. No additional noise whatsoever. I found with the Axe FX II there was too much additional noise and hiss for me to even consider using it with a real amp. The FX8 is meant to be far superior.