That's not bad praise for my old korean lump

mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
edited November 2016 in Guitar
Had a great Dundee band "Sin City Blues" guest hosting the band jam/open mic I help run.  the guitarists had real Gibson SG's. Handed one of them my Maison Les Paul copy.

After he got over the weight he decided to have a wee go... Totally fell in love with it and played it for part of the night. Couldn't believe how nice it was to play. That was with all standard hardware/wiring etc except pickups which were a diy bodge of some cheap unbranded 10k humbuckers that I swapped the ceramic magnets for some alnico ones out an epiphone p90.

Another friend who plays in a blues band recently also on my recommendation got a Maison Les Paul which had pickups upgraded by prev owner and he also reckons one of nicest sounding best playing guitars he owns as well.

looking forward to getting my Maison 335 back with is getting a new nut made and frets levelled/dressed, it also has schaller STM bridge and will have schaller classic 16:1 machine heads. And has had loom redone with 57 style 500k (funny thing although cheap basic wiring maison used 57 wiring diag and 500k and same cap values etc from factory as the 57 style looms when most manufacturers wouldn't have).

unfortunately they are very very rare now (either people don't sell cos they are good or because they weren't expensive new they got used by beginners/intermediated and got handed down etc so lots got looked after not so well).

Canny grumble at quality 335 had real solid maple top, sides, back and a solid mahogany tone block no laminate at all. And the LP copies are non lightened solid woods solid alder back and maple cap (on white and black models) and solid mahogany with maple cap on sunburst models. They also did some other 335 copies with diff woods for front and back and some full hollow models. Sb's, strats, superstrats, acoustics, es175 copy etc etc.

lovely stuff, mate had one of their superstrats back in 90's which was also very nice.

If you see one cheap and local I'd certainly recommend a wee project
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Sounds great !
    Nice when people compliment your gear isn't it ?

I will keep my eyes open for them, it's not a brand i've ever heard of.

Nice one man. Hope the 335 is good when it comes back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Was good when went away but tuning stability sucked and was original nut, bridge etc had already been changed, fret level and dress was just to take away tiny spot where seemed to mute strings so thought may as well have it perfect :)

and yeah it is nice when someone rather bloody good likes your kit :)
  • HysterHyster Frets: 208
    Who is doing the work for you? I'm just across the water in Dundee and its always handy to know a good tech
    Sandy Mavor, on his recommendation he is gonna make a bone nut as I requested and one out of some very old very dense ebony, I can try both then he'll fit whichever I prefer more permanently. Though he can be very very busy so don't be in a rush...

What sort of stuff do you play? Sing as well? Come down to our band jam on wed night at bush bar :)
  • HysterHyster Frets: 208
    I'm just a bedroom guitarist, might drop by and check it out though
    Join in for a few songs ;) no excuses just do it, best way to have fun and improve even if just some chords etc for rhythm:)
    Alnico said:
    Sounds great !
    Nice when people compliment your gear isn't it ?

I will keep my eyes open for them, it's not a brand i've ever heard of.

Nice one man. Hope the 335 is good when it comes back.
    Although not common over hear yet there is a new Chinese make that's coming out with guitars branded Maison these are far from the same items. Easily recognisable the Chinese one as the logo is more curvy script lettering not the very straight line lettering with extended middle tail on the M of the old Korean ones. 

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited November 2016
    I had an old Maison LP Custom from the late 80's years ago which I sanded down and refinished.  Mahogany neck, shallow scarf joint at headstock, like you get on a lot of lower mid range acoustics, think the body was basswood or probably northern ash and veneer maple cap and rosewood fretboard.  It did weigh a tonne. One day the headstock just snapped off around the scarf join for no apparent reason, which after spending ages refinishing and refretting the thing I was upset about so I beat it to smithereens.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    edited November 2016
    Both my maisons have long neck joins that extend into pickup cavity. And know late 80's early 90's they only offered mahogany or alder with maple cap.  Guy from mojo pickups broke his headstock off on his maison LP many years ago. He said he simply glued it back on and its been fine ever since. He still has it to this day
    edited November 2016
    Could yours have possibly been late 92/93ish rather than late 80's. Yoojin took over company in about 92 and everything they produced were just mass produced cheap things with maison branding (which would defo explain the basswood and rubbish neck join).  All maison lp's I've seen that were handmade in the small Korean workshop had a proper neck join like originals they are based on and were quality woods.
    Their custom copies iirc were almost all black or white and were solid alder and maple cap with gold hardware. The standard copies were sunburst and solid mahogany back with maple cap.
    As can be seen from the photo of this maison SG copy. It's made from quality wood right through and neck join extends more than half way across pickup cavity. As is the case of my LPC190 and SAS335 also by maison.  there are some maisons 335 and LP where neck was a bolt on but never seen one with an acoustic guitar style neck attachment, ply of basswood. As this photo shows the neck joins were very long :). Which again leads me to think it could have been low end guitar made after Yoojin took over and/or possibly Chinese