10 Strangest Vintage Effects of All Time

What's Hot
ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
edited January 2014 in FX
"It’s probably not a coincidence that effects such as wah pedals and fuzz boxes started appearing en masse about the same time that recreational drugs like marijuana and LSD became popular with rock musicians.

Indeed, it would take the mind of an incredibly stoned individual — someone deprived of exposure to the sun’s rays, fed a diet of lukewarm Mountain Dew and stale frozen pizza and kept awake for days by snorting lines of Instant Maxwell House — to even conceive of the idea for some of the music industry’s many audio oddities."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Quite a few seem to mention envelope filters...

Which is one of my favourite effects. Never losing my qtron, which is pretty weird sounding - I use it in 'underwater' mode - which is a backwards, bass centric sound. Weird!
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    "It’s probably not a coincidence that effects such as wah pedals and fuzz boxes started appearing en masse about the same time that recreational drugs like marijuana and LSD became popular with rock musicians."

Ye gods.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    Nah... until they start talking about Mutron 111s I am not taking it seriously.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Just moved this to FX, where I should have put it first, instead of the default guitar category.

Thanks for looking  
    :)

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Bah, they're missing a few there. The main one being the Colorsound Dipthonizer

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited January 2014
    No Roland Bee Baa? That's a pretty crazy one.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Love the BeeBaa, but I think the Ibanez Standard Fuzz trumps it

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited January 2014
    juansolo said:
    Love the BeeBaa, but I think the Ibanez Standard Fuzz trumps it
    That is brutal.

I've also just found out that there are Bee Baa clones out there... hmmm.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Lixarto said:
    "It’s probably not a coincidence that effects such as wah pedals and fuzz boxes started appearing en masse about the same time that recreational drugs like marijuana and LSD became popular with rock musicians."

Ye gods.

I understood the Wah came about as people wanted to make a guitar sound like a muted trumpet, which has a kinda wah-wah sound.......

BTW I've never taken LSD, never intend too, and still love having a pile of F/X available to me.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

I didn't know about the Mu-Tron III, but especially for @Lexie1 here is a YouTube demo, cool

edited January 2014
    Lovin' that little box with all those crazy people inside, Colorsound Dipthonizer you say @juansolo, just brilliant

Bring out your dead, bring out your dead...  

well maybe not quite, but
    bring out any great vintage wackiness, dead or alive, and post a YT demo or just tell us about it,
    these old pedals are just great fun.  
    :)

Another new one for me, thanks @Bucket for the Roland Bee Baa, decent fuzz me-thinks.
    That Ibanez is nasty fuzz.

OK so not a pedal, but here goes  -  a great FX box, the Moog Vocoder.
    I have one of these stashed away from my previous life.
    You can cross patch the frequency section for more effects too, all lovely analogue.
    This video is a rebadged Moog - a Bode Vocoder, seems identical to me.

Another new one for me, thanks @Bucket for the Roland Bee Baa, decent fuzz me-thinks.
    That Ibanez is nasty fuzz.
    The BeeBaa is really good. It can sound a little thin and weedy at low volumes, but it really isn't at all. Turn it up and it'll take your head off (in a good way). It's a cracking fuzz.

The Ibanez is pure nasty. Of all the people who've tried it, only me and MattF actually liked it. It's the nastiest, most velcro, most octavey, most chaotic thing known to man. For that I love it.