Notifications

What's Hot

Comments

• OK, I've pretty much done all I can for this, based on these recommendations:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126

The only thing I haven't done is set the Precedence header to "bulk", because it's not actually bulk mail (it's effectively a mailing list, which is why the header is set to "list"). Given everything else, though, that wouldn't be enough alone to black-hole emails.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Months ago, I'd had to amend a filter in gmail to stop notifications ending up in 'spam'...but since the 16th Oct nothing has come through at all.

My notification prefs:
    http://i.imgur.com/0x0WI1w.jpg
    (can you see that? i'm new to imgur)

• Yep, I can see that. Have you had any notifications from this thread? They might be appearing now, but going into spam.
    <space for hire>
  • Lee, did you see my post above, you were probably typing one of your responses at the time, so I thought I would bring it to your attention.  It is the same MO for me.  Thanks for your help with this.  There is a bit about setting Gmail spam filters in the attached thread too, which may be of help to some.

• @ChrisMusic - I saw that, but I've set up the server and the forum software to comply with everything that Google's bulk-mail guidelines recommend. We aren't on any anti-spam blacklists either.

In short, everything should be working as of now. It may take a few days for Google to catch up, but here's the rub...I use GMail, and I haven't missed a single notification.
    <space for hire>
  • Yep, I can see that. Have you had any notifications from this thread? They might be appearing now, but going into spam.
    Nope...nuffink.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited November 2016
    No my @ChrisMusic didn't get a notification through either, strange...

digitalscream said: ... but here's the rub...I use GMail, and I haven't missed a single notification.

only one answer to that then ...        
    >-) >-)

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    TTony said:
    Apologies for the radio silence on this - @digitalscream is currently rather busy with some other forum issues, so probably hasn't seen this or had chance to investigate.

It's odd that its on your phone and your Mac, but it's even odder that no-one else is reporting the problem.

Just so I (we) understand exactly, you get the server error message screen whenever you click on the little icon between your avatar pic and the inbox icon?
    No worries at all, thanks for the help!

Yes, it is that icon and also when I click on my profile and try to access them from there too.
    @digitalkettle and @robinbowes - have you checked that your notification preferences? Screenshots would be helpful if they look right.

@Deijavoo - that does look like a site problem, but I can't glean enough information about it from that screenshot. What would certainly help is the exact date and time that it occurred, and your IP address at the time (go to http://whatsmyip.org/ to get that). I appreciate that's going to be pretty bloody difficult to get for the last one, so...next time it happens, if you could post that info here (or in a PM if you don't want your IP address public), I'll see what I can do.
    No it's pretty easy to get as it is every time I try to access them. So the last one was 2 minutes ago at 22:55. I'll PM you my IP.

Thanks again mate.
  • I'm also not getting emails about PMs. I'm on gmail too. It was working in October but nothing since then. Notifications on the site itself seem fine.
  • It also occurred to me that this could end up being an issue in getting new members to sign up.

If their response eMail from theFretBoard doesn't even get as far as the spam folder of their eMail service, and they don't already know someone on here who can flag the problem up, then we could be losing a proportion of the prospective future membership.

Maybe a second line of contact availability would go some way to sorting that one, if this current issue is insurmountable ?

• OK, after a lot of fishing around in the logs, I think I've figured out what the problem is - GMail's servers are exclusively using IPv6 now, so if the AAAA and PTR records aren't set up for IPv6 as well as IPv4, the host verification fails.

I've set those up now (as well as tidying up some other arcane configuration bits buried in sendmail), so hopefully it should start working at some point in the next 24 hours.

I've also figured out why my emails are coming through on GMail and nobody else's are - it's because all my mail goes to digitalscream.org.uk addresses which are then forwarded through to GMail; the server in the middle does have IPv6 enabled.
    <space for hire>
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited November 2016
    So I was wrong about the   >-) >-)   thing then ???

Thanks for looking into it further, hopefully a good result all round...    ATB, Chris.

• Indeed. We'll get there in the end.

On the other hand, I still haven't managed to figure out what's failing with the OP's problem. Watch this space.
    <space for hire>
  • Confirmed: took a little while for Google's servers to catch up, but using direct interactions with their mail server I've managed to successfully send emails from this one.

I then resent a signup email from a test account here, and that worked too.

You should all start getting email notifications now.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17669
    tFB Trader
    Well done fella
  • Good job! I'm getting notifications.

R.
  • Yay me :D
    <space for hire>
    Am I the only one with my issue??
  • Deijavoo said:
    Am I the only one with my issue??
    Couldn't just let me have a few minutes' glory, eh? :D

Seriously, that's next on the list. I wasn't prioritising it, since you're the only one who's reported it but the email thing was affecting everyone with GMail (a good few thousand people).

And yes...you seem to be the only one thus far.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom