Marks in finish of telecaster neck, advice please?

What's Hot
Hi got a 2001 tele American standard poly finish.

is this normal ageing in the Laquer? Never really bothered me before but now I can feel it and once that's in your head it's hard to shift lol.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vyd04ejmte9zynw/AAC3eOmSK3v5zIOdUNBeT8t_a?dl=0

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7136
    tFB Trader
    Yes it's common on Fenders of that age. Not good though and there isn't much do to stop it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes it's common on Fenders of that age. Not good though and there isn't much do to stop it. 
    Oh no really, I guess it's just something to live with then is :-( it just the finish or something more sinister? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73121
    Just the finish.

You can sometimes fix it by soaking some superglue into the cracks and then sanding it smooth and buffing - but it won't stop it for good. The problem is simply that the hard polyester lacquer can't keep up with the natural expansion and contraction of the wood.

The only real remedy in the long run is to refinish the neck in something else.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Just the finish.

You can sometimes fix it by soaking some superglue into the cracks and then sanding it smooth and buffing - but it won't stop it for good. The problem is simply that the hard polyester lacquer can't keep up with the natural expansion and contraction of the wood.

The only real remedy in the long run is to refinish the neck in something else.
    Sounds like a lengthy process I think live with it for a bit. So relieved to hear it's just the finish, a part of me was proper worried it was the wood that was cracked, phew I can sleep easy! Thanks for putting my mind a rest regarding that mate 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14846
    tFB Trader
    Steve and ICBM have answered it above - best 'budget' option otherwise is to cut it back to a smooth satin finish with wet n dry - start of say 1000 grade and finish off 2000/2500 and t-cut/polish as required - won't harm it and to me it will feel better
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I was going to say it sounds like an ideal candidate for some wire wool silky smoothness...
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    +1 for the sand it satin / wire wool silky smoothness.  
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    or get it all off, oil and wax it. Feels even nicer. 

• NPP said:
    or get it all off, oil and wax it. Feels even nicer. 
    Is this one of those Brazilian necks I read so much about?
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    don't think so - unless yours was particularly furry

• Steve and ICBM have answered it above - best 'budget' option otherwise is to cut it back to a smooth satin finish with wet n dry - start of say 1000 grade and finish off 2000/2500 and t-cut/polish as required - won't harm it and to me it will feel better
    That sounds like a plan i much prefer the satin feel i have a satin neck on my strat and its really nice. Im just so relived that its only the finish thats cracked and not the wood, the main annoying thing is feeling it while i play.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    stenio83 said:
    Steve and ICBM have answered it above - best 'budget' option otherwise is to cut it back to a smooth satin finish with wet n dry - start of say 1000 grade and finish off 2000/2500 and t-cut/polish as required - won't harm it and to me it will feel better
    That sounds like a plan i much prefer the satin feel i have a satin neck on my strat and its really nice. Im just so relived that its only the finish thats cracked and not the wood, the main annoying thing is feeling it while i play.
    It's worth getting some 0000 super fine steel wool as well - I think this leaves a really silky smooth finish - just couldn't seem to replicate this with paper (even at 2500 grit).