Epiphone 'Pro' series - what's the skinny?

What's Hot
McTootMcToot Frets: 2043
I've enquired about the Explorer variant of this range which is for sale quite close to me (following my lusting over this thread) and I'm quite keen to take a punt as it's in the sub-£300 bracket.  

Apparently this is one of a run of 1,000 (which doesn't actually seem that limited to me) in a trans-silver finish.  Looks to be solid hog and in good condish.  

I haven't had an Epi for years, but does anyone know anything about or rate the 'Pro' range?

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Thought they were the same old Chinese Epis but with coil tapping and the locking bridge.....

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2043
    Thought they were the same old Chinese Epis but with coil tapping and the locking bridge.....
    Ah, right; thanks.  I really knew nothing about them.  This certainly has coil taps.  

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Played one, it's very epiphone,  But at the very good end if the spectrum! 

Despite owning and playing gibsons , I have a soft spot for epis for playability. What sort of music yee play ? 
    joeyowen said:
    Played one, it's very epiphone,  But at the very good end if the spectrum! 

Despite owning and playing gibsons , I have a soft spot for epis for playability. What sort of music yee play ? 
    The usual TBH, a bit of bluesy, classic rock mixed with a bit of maudlin, introspective indie stuff as I am a child of the 80s :-)

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5607
    That Epi Explorer Pro looks pretty good. Is it the reduced body size like other Explorer Pros?
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    edited November 2016
    The necks are quite skinny.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2213
    I've got a Sheraton II Pro, very nice it is too. Pickups are decent and it's quite well made.  

I've found the neck on mine is quite big, not '58 LP size but certainly bigger than most guitars I have. 
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited November 2016
    I have owned a few MIK Epis over the years upto about 2005 when they switched to China, but havent found a Chinese one i liked. Partly the necks but Its the finish i just cant get on with, seems to glossy and leaves me cold. Even the fretboards are too glassy. And this is someone who likes Ric necks.....

Thanks lads.  I'll at least go and have a look - what's the harm?! I'd love a full fat 76 RI USA model, but the few people what own em don't seem to want to sell em...

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4814
    Push-pull coil splitting & better quality p/ups (depending on guitar).  The Explorer & SG Pro's have Alnico Classic Pro humbuckers, the Les Paul Custom Pro has 'Pro-Bucker'pups. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)