Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Has anyone ever owned or played a Heritage guitar?

What's Hot
xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
Just curious really. In ally years of playing I've never tried one, haven't known anyone who's had one, and I can't recall ever seeing one in a shop. 

Are they hard to track down in the UK? And how do they stack up against the equivalent Gibbos? 

Cheers. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've only played a few second hand in shops. Some were really nice... but I got the impression that they can vary quite a bit.

• They ain't hard to track down, there's always loads for sale, for ages. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33996
    edited November 2016
    Great guitars with the shittest headstock in the world.
    If that matters (and for many people this is why they don't buy them) then avoid.
    If it doesn't then go at it, but buy used.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Calling @Evilmags!
  • Played a used 335-alike some years ago.

It was 'much' better than the then-current Gibson Dot which I compared it to. Lighter, nicer neck profile, better fretting/fingerboard finishing, etc....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73121
    I quite like the headstocks. What I really don't like is the awful wooden pickguards they put on many models, and the pickups. Obviously both those things can be changed if you want.

In find them much 'woodier'-sounding than equivalent Gibsons - every one I've played (half a dozen or perhaps a couple more) has been like that - some of them being carved solid wood instead of laminate, but not only those ones.

They do vary a bit though… which given that they're made in the ex-Gibson factory by ex-Gibson employees (although there probably aren't that many of those left now) is perhaps not that surprising :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1289
    Yes, I have an H-535. 

Great guitar, changed the pick guard to a black plastic one and the pickups to Oil City Bean-Os. I've played a few 335s and I wouldn't have swapped any of them for my Heri.

Headstock is a bit marmite but build quality easily matches Gibson. Very reasonably priced too, a lot of bang for buck.
  • Mate of mine has a 175 type. It's lovely. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    I had the Alex Skolnick LP one on loan once from a mate and it was amazing.  The best, most open sounding LP I've ever played.   Then he got another one, I think it was an H-150, and it was rotten.  My epi sounded and played better.

So, eh, some are good some are bad mkay

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 920
    I have an H150 CM (LP alike) dating from 1992, so it probably was made by ex-Gibson employees. Best LP I've ever played and it's a looker.

Thinking of selling though as age and back trouble are making LP style guitars a bit of a struggle but I'll be sad to see it go.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I reckon I could live with the headstock if the guitar were right. Some of their jazzboxes look lovely.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2410
    Tried one ages ago but I don't remember much about it other than it seemed pretty nice.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14847
    edited November 2016 tFB Trader
    What you find as used guitars in the UK are generally very well priced as they just don't have that 'buzz' about them - At a guitar show last week I saw a jazz box, twin humbucker  (H550), at only £1400 ish - what a great buy if that is your gig - Nothing wrong with the build quality - Some models come with S Duncan pick-ups some with Schaller p/ups - Take the Schaller ones off as they won't suit many players - But otherwise you should be okay with any of the them pending you like the way it feels and plays

Don't think there is a UK dealer or distributor handling them at the moment and with the current exchange rate I'd pass on buying a new one from the USA - But a good used one and hard to fault

Heritage just appear to be content with what they have, who they are and what they are - Not trying to build an empire, yet somehow they just don't quite appear to have nailed the old school/boutique factor like Hamer and Collings have/did
    Here's a curio. I knew I hadn't made this up (I recall ads for this model) and a quick Google reveals there was a Heritage Gary Moore Model.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    @evilmags has (if he still has it) a very lovely looking H575 (ES 175 / L4 hybrid - a 175 shape, but a carved top I believe)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14847
    tFB Trader
    Skarloey said:
    Here's a curio. I knew I hadn't made this up (I recall ads for this model) and a quick Google reveals there was a Heritage Gary Moore Model.

sold one years ago - not many made and I've not seen one for sale (thru' my hands) in the last 15 years or so
    Personally I do like the matching wooden scratchplate on that. Not too all tastes perhaps, but I think it's different in a good way.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Jalapeno said:
    @evilmags has (if he still has it) a very lovely looking H575 (ES 175 / L4 hybrid - a 175 shape, but a carved top I believe)
    It's a great guitar made a lot better by oil City masterwounds. Very nice player.
  • LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
    I had a H140CM for a while - think it dated back to 1990 or maybe 1991.
    Absolutely brilliant guitar with a gorgeous top on it.
    The pickups sounded alright to my ears, though most would probably want to upgrade to something that does the guitar more justice.

I sold it to Kenn Gordon in the end as I was using an early 90s Blade R4 much more at the time and I couldn't really afford to have both.

Would love to have another one day though... it was a great guitar to play. The neck was sublime.
    Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    I played a heritage 335 alike belonging to a respected jazzer and teacher a few years back. Not sure if he'd had it worked on but the neck and action was faultless (and I'm a fussy bugger in that respect). He had sold a player grade vintage Gibbo once he owned the heritage and had no regrets. As a guitar it was all it could be, as a pillock I wanted the right shaped headstock.