Anyone interested in a "drum jam" ?

Used to do these on Harmony Central quite a bit and it's interesting to see how different people interpret the same drum pattern. The idea is OP posts a drum track (around a minute ish long) then everyone writes riffs and records it/layers/produces to as high a standard as they like, send to the OP who will do a "reveal" after a few weeks or so. Similar to the riff of the month I suppose. I've always found it more inspiring to play along to the drums rather than make stuff up solo.

If anyones up for it I'll try and get a drum track done tomorrow, could do with an excuse to play around with EZD2 some more :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    I'm game
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I see where you're coming from - definitely better to play along with drums/some kind of backing, than solo. I too have just started out writing drum stuff (on the computer), and would be happy to post a few items. Also I'd be happy to just post the solo/interpretation over the top of it, rather than sending it then a "reveal" a month later.

I mainly play bass, so I've found myself writing drums first, bass second, rhythm guitar third, then any solo over the top last. Let me know if I can help out with basslines etc too - although of course by doing so, I define the key and chord changes (more or less)!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2942
    Actually the way we used to do it was everyone just replies in the thread with their creation then it gets added to the first post for an easy to follow list of all the different interpretations.

I think adding a bassline to it will dictate the style and feel a bit too much. What was nice with the ones on HC was the variety, you could have weird electronicy experimental stuff to rock to the heaviest of metal all over the same basic drum beat. For me it was just a fun way to get a bit creative and write a bit of music and made me pick up the bass a bit more when recording it.
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    i'd give it a go too
  • Im well up for this, happy to supply a drum track too as love programming drums.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2942
    Cool :) up to you if you wanna "host" the first one then @PolarityMan ! I haven't programmed anything for ages so mine could be a bit rubbish and basic haha.
  • awesome will get on this at the weekend
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I have a fresh one (drum track) ready to go, if you're interested?