What are you reading at the moment?

What's Hot

Comments

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6584
    Just finished the debut novel by John Gordon Sinclair -yes, he of Gregory's Girl fame. Gritty, violent and really rather good. Recommended.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3695
    John Le Carre - The Mission song.

Hard going at the start but getting going now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    The Autobiography of a Supertramp- W H Davies.

Great read so far, similar to Orwells Down and Out journal. If you're a history buff or even if you're not I'd recommend it.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9813
    Motherless Child which is a Clapton biography. TBH it gives the impression that the author has read and picked snippets from lots of other Clapton stuff. Haven't really learnt anything new. Bit of a disappointment really.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1102
    Horus Rising (Horus Heresy/War Hammer 40k) Ive just finished both the Eisenhorn/Ravenor trilogy's (also 40k novels) before those i re-read Frank Herberts original Dune series.
  • LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1201

Re-reading The Shining atm as it's been a while since I read it.

Recently read Under The Skin having watched the film, it's quite different and although I stuck with it, I'm not sure if I really enjoyed it.

Looking forward to the next Walking Dead novel, Invasion, loved the previous ones. Not sure where they fit between the TV series and comics but well worth a look if you're a fan.

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    I too have The Shining - on my kindle ready to take on holiday next week - as my daughter bought me Dr Sleep for Christmas, and it seems it's a sequel to The Shining.  Ah well, I should probably have read it years ago!

Also got Proxima (Stephen Baxter) to follow up.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    Revolution by Russell brand, the hope is that he's going to start writing something useful a third of the way through cos it's lacking substance so far.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Up the Bloody Tedious FarawayTree by Enid Blyton.

I love reading bedtime stories to my kids, but this really is a load of meandering bollocks, and at a chapter a night we've been in the flipping enchanted wood for months!

I'm hoping the final chapter has some bulldozers coming over the hill to flatten the whole lot to build a bypass.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952

I love reading bedtime stories to my kids, but this really is a load of meandering bollocks, and at a chapter a night we've been in the flipping enchanted wood for months!

I'm hoping the final chapter has some bulldozers coming over the hill to flatten the whole lot to build a bypass.

No spoiler, but don't hold your breath...  ;)
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073

Me too! Silky and effing Moon Face my arse....
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4230
    I've just gone through Asimov's Foundation saga. They're up there with any book I've ever read tbh, amazing things.

I followed it up with a re-read of Jurassic Park, and The Lost World, ahead of the new film. Both are fun too, enjoyable for different reasons than either film.

I'm now deliberating between going back to Asimov to cover the Robots series, or onto GoT. I also just caved in and bought a kindle finally for space reasons. :(
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7918
    Just finished 'Rivers Of London' by Ben Aaronovitch. It's about a serial killer and has a few spooky twists. Totally awesome :D
    I've read that and enjoyed it (it was an Amazon freebie) not read any others yet.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7918
    I'm currently reading another Amazon bargain - The Synchronicity War Part 1 - which I found via a site called Bookbub, which sends you daily special offers for e-readers.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 468
    Finally got round to reading No Logo by Naomi Klein - really interesting take on advertising and brand image, but given it was written in the mid 90s, some of it feels slightly dated. I'll push through regardless.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Right now I'm reading The Scarlett Gospels by Clive Barker - a sequel of sorts to The Hellbound Heart.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16358
    I don't normally have anything to contribute here but two books in four days this week.

How to build a girl by Caitlin Moran. Is this chick lit? Not quite sure but I enjoyed it immensely. Helps a lot if you know Wolverhampton at all.

Pele the autobiography. Not a great read as in how well written but some interesting stuff in it. Reference to various extra marital affairs and business dealings that I suspect would look a lot worse if someone else was writing about them. 
    I didn't know that the red, yellow card system came into football in 1970 and Pele may be the most famous person to choose to drive a Vauxhall Zafira.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    The Fretboard conspiracy theories, its a free ebook in off topic :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7359
    Bogwhoppit;650611" said:
    The Fretboard conspiracy theories, its a free ebook inthe guitar section :)
    Yeah I dont think that anybody really believes that bigsby's look good or relics are cool.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    "They Used Dark Forces" by Dennis Wheatley.

What a writer.

Plots with more holes and dubious coincidences in them than you could ever credit.

Research notes copies at length and ad nauseam into endless plot-blocking paragraphs.

A little bit of Satanism and occult thrown in.

But whaddya know? Absolutely compelling.