Trussrod - can't tighten it

What's Hot

Your advice would be appreciated...

CS Fender Strat... the trussrod  adjustment is the old fashioned sort (ie remove the neck and use a flat head screwdriver to tighten / loosen). Trouble is... I'm trying to reduce the amount of relief in the neck - and the trussrod is incredibly tight. So tight that I can't turn it any further.

I've tried slackening the rod and retightening (only a couple of times) and it still doesn't get past the same point of adjustment when I try to tighten it up again.

Is there any way I can remedy this? Any cunning tricks of the trade?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24879
    edited November 2016
    It could have run out of thread - which is why you can't tighten it any more. This is highly unusual on a quality guitar - if you've bought it recently, I would be returning it, if I were you.

One possible cure, is to remove the adjustment screw and find a washer that will fit behind it that is thick enough to give you some extra adjustment - but thin enough to not make the nut proud of the butt of the neck, preventing you from refitting it to the body.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @richardhomer Thanks for the suggestion. I'd be surprised if it's run out of thread. I've owned the guitar from new (about 7 years) and it's never had a lot of rod adjustment (just the usual small adjustments for Spring and late Autumn that most Fenders seen to need... so it gets tightened about half a turn... then slackened about half a turn... most years)
  • I bought my Strat new (a MIM, not a CS) and it had that problem from the off. A spacer fixed it - I used a lockring from a bike inner tube valve, ground down the knurling on a dremel. It's a common problem, due to the wood behind the nut compressing.

Dan Erlewine mentions this fix in one of his books, and that's good enough for me!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16985
    I would at least try taking the nut off and reassembling because you may find the issue when you do... might as well stick a washer in there whilst you can.

• I have the same issue on my strat. For a heel adjusting rod, is it literally a question of loosening the rod until the nut falls off, then putting it back with a washer included? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73121
    Yes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks for all the advice.

So... I've never taken a truss rod apart.  Scary stuff! 

Is it just a case of undoing the nut that's at the heel end of the neck? Is it that simple - or is there any stuff to be aware of?

• WezVWezV Frets: 16985

Thanks for all the advice.

So... I've never taken a truss rod apart.  Scary stuff! 

Is it just a case of undoing the nut that's at the heel end of the neck? Is it that simple - or is there any stuff to be aware of?

It's that simple on a vintage rod
  • Clamping the neck into a back bow and then tightening up the truss rod has worked well for me in the past. If you search "Dan Erlewine straightening a vintage bass neck" into youtube he explains how do it.