Can you recommend someone to refinish an R7

What's Hot
I've had my R7 for about 6 years now, and I love it.

However, my tastes have somewhat changed over that time, and  I'm seriously considering upgrading it with new pups and a refin.
I'd like to add a dark back instead of the lighter colour, and if possible take a tad off the heel for easier dusty end access.

Who do you guys trust to do a good refin in the UK? 
I know there are some fantastic guys around.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Would you be better buying a guitar that already has the configuration you want?

I imagine refinishing and re carving a r7 will massively alter it's value in a negative way. Unless of course you know 100% for sure its a guitar for life?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @meltedbuzzbox I think you're probably right.  This guitar is very significant to me sentimentally, and has seen a lot of action on the road. I could never part with it. So i think refin is probably the best option. Also, no way I can afford a new one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lol 'a lot of action on the road' like I'm Warren Haynes. ;)

perhaps that answer is the 335 I've been gassing over for upper fret access
  • Personally I wouldn't mess around with the heel. In improving access, you'd be making a structural alteration which could potentially alter the sound - and would almost certainly kill any resale value.

A refinish isn't probably too advisable either....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @richardhomer fair play. I actually chose this one over a load of reissues specifically because of the sound. I'm sure that the extra wood contributes to the tone. It was considerably louder than any other reissue I tried. perhaps I should just stick a set of low winds in there and see how i get on. Stock Burstbuckers in there at the moment.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 770
    @saxosim one for YM maybe? 

Sorry if I'm talking in riddles @mburekenge ;

:)

Cheers 
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    I wouldn't expect any tonal difference if you sculpt a heel but I could be wrong

It's something I'll be trying on my next builds normal vs sculpted body and heel on a Lp style body

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    If i had that kind of guitar and wanted that kind of work doing, there is only one place i would consider taking it.

@FelineGuitars ;

Once you've seen that kind of work, .......................well, i won't spoil it for you.

See for yourself.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    edited November 2016
    It's an inanimate object. If you want it refinished and the heel adjusted to suit your playing needs then go for it. There are plenty of capable luthiers out there.

People always have something to say about modded guitars. A guitar is a tool for making music not a bloody ornament.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8164
    You would be a fool to butcher the Gibson.  
    Sell it, and buy the guitar that suits you better.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016
    ^ What's funny about what I said above ?

Jon is all about this kind of work isn't he?
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3705
    Alnico said:

I didn't LOL you but I don't think Feline do any painting do they?
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3705
    Rave said:
    It's an inanimate object. If you want it refinished and the heel adjusted to suit your playing needs then go for it. There are plenty of capable luthiers out there.

People always have something to say about modded guitars. A guitar is a tool for making music not a bloody ornament.
    It can be both. :)
    Neil said:
    Alnico said:

I could be wrong and i hope Jon will forgive me if i am, but i thought they did do refinishes ?

It was Jon's skill in general and what he did with the Judas Priest Guitar that made me think of him. I know he didn't refinish the body but that level of work is mind boggling, to me at least.

I'm often wrong but i just thought i would mention Feline as they do some of the best work i've ever seen.
    My apologies If i'm wrong.
  • Well, it's quite funny, but last night I plugged her in and got totally lost in playing. Was getting killer tone R7> RC boost >TS mini > Carr Mercury.

i rememberd why I love this guitar so much. I tried about 30 historics before this one and it was the stand out one...

I've decided to leave her as is, and get saving for an ES.

I'm sorry, baby. I'll never doubt you again, please forgive me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    @Wudtone seems to be forum favourite for refin jobs at the moment.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If you change your mind I would say Florian Jäger is the man for a job like this. His refin of my R0 was superb. Since June, with sterling in the toilet vs the euro his work is not exactly cheap but worth every cent.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11775
    tFB Trader
    Alnico said:
    Neil said:
    Alnico said:

I could be wrong and i hope Jon will forgive me if i am, but i thought they did do refinishes ?

It was Jon's skill in general and what he did with the Judas Priest Guitar that made me think of him. I know he didn't refinish the body but that level of work is mind boggling, to me at least.

I'm often wrong but i just thought i would mention Feline as they do some of the best work i've ever seen.
    My apologies If i'm wrong.
    Thankyou for thinking of me and the kind mention,. We don't do any paint refinishing ourselves and no longer take in any work for the guys we use to finish our own guitars as it was just adding costs to what was already becoming an expensive thing to have done, and we no longer wanted the headache of chasing up people's work with a 3rd party who might be unreliable.

Obviously we still do all the other clever stuff but paint is something we don't offer.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited November 2016
    I agree with the sentiments above. Leave the R7 alone and play it to death. If you want something in a different colour or with better fret access then look for another guitar - perhaps dare I say a modern interpretation of the classic singlecut? ie Collings, Knaggs, PRS, Huber etc

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7141
    tFB Trader
     a modern interpretation of the classic singlecut? ie Collings, Knaggs, PRS, Huber etc
    or @FelineGuitars even?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom