Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Something to focus on . . .

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922

My current paperback/hardback to-be-read pile (many, many more on Kindle :) )

httpwwwarrowheadguitarscoukpicsbookspilejpg

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    I'm pleased to see you've come up for air, Paul - hope you're well.

That lot looks like killing Hydras - every time you finish one, two more replace it!

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23585
    I used to have big piles of unread books like that, about 30 years ago.  Now I hardly buy anything apart from the occasional Kindle book.

I haven't read any of those, about from the Moorcock books and A.E. van Vogt. 
  • @fretmeister  agreed - starship troopers film is excellent! 

Sorry to hear about that @Paul_C :(
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31130
    If you're in a situation of self- questioning and wondering etc, then I really recommend reading the Reggie Perrin trilogy by David Nobbs.

Not only are they about 5 times funnier than the hilarious TV show, they really do make you think about life.

You will utterly laugh until your sides hurt but also think until your brain hurts.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    You may have a lot already but I'd like to add

Horus Rising - Dan Abnett
    False Gods - Graham McNeill
    Galaxy In Flames - Ben Counter

First three novels of a series of novels by different authors about the Horus Heresy that serves as a prequel of sorts to the Warhammer 40,000 stuff. Dan Abnett is among my favourite authors and he's done a good few of the books. Might be a geeky recommendation, but is still entertaining reading. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    Nitefly said:
    I'm pleased to see you've come up for air, Paul - hope you're well.

That lot looks like killing Hydras - every time you finish one, two more replace it!

I'm a little better, thanks to time, and a sensational amount of anti-depressants.

The fact that I've bought a new amp and a BitQuest! is encouraging,
    Sporky said:
    Paul_C said:

I reckon 150 or so books added to what I already have should be a reasonable start :)

Then I would like to suggest that there should be some Greg Egan on the list. Probably Permutation City or Distress as a first one. Oh, and some Michael Marshall Smith; either Only Forward or Spares, you don't really need to read both.

I've read Permutation City, which I liked a lot apart from the ending which seemed awfully rushed and lacking in detail compared to the rest of the book. I've got his trilogy of Orthogonal books either on Kindle or in the pile.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister