Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Soft Case Vs Hard case

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1703
So, as most of the dont have the budget for a Mono case, would you go for a proper decent gig bag or a smaller "fitted" hard case?  Ive been using my Kinnsman gig bag for ages now but I wonder should I go for hard case. Prob looking at something similar to this: 

https://goo.gl/images/ilUFRP
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I have both. I used to use the soft case because it was lighter/easier but I switched, so that I can stuff in some extra stuff like an extension mains lead, a couple of leads and music/documents into the hard case. Mind you, my soft case was a simple thing, I know you can get others with big pockets including an A4 oversized one for folders/music/etc. The other advantage, of course, is that you don't need to worry so much when its in a hard case, its well protected whereas in a soft case you still worry about it.

So, personally for me, hard case.
  • PRS SE gig bag. All my hard cases have been stashed away since I got a couple of those. They're very protective with plenty of pockets and handles and straps. I've been gigging with them for years and have never had a problem. They probably wouldn't like being thrown into the back of a van from a great distance by a gorilla though...
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Assuming a solidbody electric, it depends on the headstock. I'm perfectly happy putting a strat or tele in a well-built gigbag and throwing it over my shoulder (though they live in Hiscoxes when at home).

But if it's anything angled would always go hardcase or decent Mono-type gigbag. Hiscox are brilliant for hardcases - lightweight and super-tough. I've had several through the hell of airport baggage systems and never had a problem beyond a thumbnail-sized hole in the edge of one. In that instance the guitar was fine and the case is still going strong a decade later.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1703
    What could be considered a mono type gig bag?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73185
    Depends where and how you're going to use it, as well as what the instrument is.

The main areas a hard case gives better protection are from crushing and bending - so if it's going in a van or a heavily-loaded car, or it's a hollow instrument or has a steep headstock angle, then a hard case is better. But other than that a decent gig bag is as good and is a lot less of a faff to carry.

[stuck record] There are also 'semi-hard' cases which for some reason are often overlooked by guitarists - basically a hard case made from lightweight foam with a nylon covering and straps like a gig bag - most classical musicians use them, for much more fragile and valuable instruments than we have. [/stuck record]

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Much the same as above, I have a heavy duty soft case for my stat, but I did splash out for a fitted hardcase for the Gretsch.

• My rule of thumb.  Gibson type = hard case.  Fender = gig bag.  Baseball bat necked tele's just chuck in the boot ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I have taken my Jackson out in gig bag a couple of times before but it makes me nervous with it's scarf joint.

A hardcase is £80 and i think if i bought a case now it would be that one.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Hard case for piece of mind.
    And for cluttering up the place because my guitars are on wall hangers.
  • I think you tend to think about carrying your precious guitar more when its in a gig bag so take more care, in a decent hard case then you treat it with less respect. As to the protection, bit well accidents happen, and I've seen scaff poles go through flight cases and an SG bounce down a flight of stairs when in a gig bag and come out untouched!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Jetfire said:
    What could be considered a mono type gig bag?
    Anything with a neck support where the headstock isn't really touching the sides of the bag while in situ. I'm not aware of any by anyone but Mono, but they probably exist.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1167
    edited November 2016

I've had a Mono gigbag in the past and now have the Gator bag below. The quality and protection is up there with the Mono, and there is a load more storage space plus it's cheaper at £99.95.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/GPGELECTRIC/gig-bags/gator-progo-series-deluxe-gig-bag-for-electric-guitar

• My view is pretty simple:

If at any point someone else is moving it, or it is going in to a vehicle I haven't completely packed myself then Hiscox Hardcase.

If it is just me moving it and I'm taking one instrument then a gigbag, worn on shoulder strap.  I like the one I got with a (since sold) Godin guitar.  It is pretty similar in quality to the PRS gigbag.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Given the cost of a mono, I'd sooner buy a Hiscox. My biggest beef is the PRS Case. Why on earth is the worlds most ergonomic guitar presented in a case you'd struggle to carry more than 20 yards? 
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited November 2016
    I had this quandary earlier this year when I decided to start taking lessons. I have an Epi LP in a hard case and bought a Mono bag for my SG - which can also take the LP or my project "Tele"...

The Epiphone fitted case is much less practical for me - nowhere to put anything, much heavier, has to be carried by hand at my side and is generally unwieldy. If I had my time again with the LP I'd not buy the hard case but now I have it I'm going to keep it. With the gig bag I can fit my lesson folder in the front pocket, wallet, keys etc. in the top pocket and there's space for much more. Sling it over my shoulder or on my back and it's forgotten as it's so light compared to the case. If I do any sort of dotting about on my way to or from lessons and have the guitar with me it's no problem at all, not like carting the hard case in and out of shops and having to set it down to do anything. It fits neatly behind the seats on the floor of my wee Fiesta too, so does the hard case but I just find it much easier at every stage of the process using the gig bag.

I know the OP clearly stated that the budget isn't there for a Mono bag but I'd get a less expensive gig bag (like the PRS ones people mention on here) if you're carting it around yourself. If it's going in the car boot or you have other people moving it, then the hard case is the safest option. To help fund the Mono, I sold the standard Gibson bag that came with the SG as it was awful, cheap crap - despite them being touted as deluxe / premium. I couldn't even fit my guitar strap in the pocket. It was quite a thought laying out the (£130ish?) cash on the Mono, but I'm glad I did it and it's going to last for years to I took all that into consideration and I'm happy I went for it.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614

I've had a Mono gigbag in the past and now have the Gator bag below. The quality and protection is up there with the Mono, and there is a load more storage space plus it's cheaper at £99.95.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/GPGELECTRIC/gig-bags/gator-progo-series-deluxe-gig-bag-for-electric-guitar

Blimmy that bag is the same price as a hiscox.

If you need to go across town on public transport with a guitar and bits, then a suitable guitar (tele) and bag might seem appropriate. Since I never find myself in this position a proper case is the order of the day. My guitars live in hard cases and are carried to/in my own car most of the time, but still hard cases because you never know, surely thats the point!

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    ESBlonde said:

Blimmy that bag is the same price as a hiscox.

That's because it's got "internal cable management".
    Sounds complicated and very expensive to implement.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    This is excellent. Easy to carry like a soft case. Has a soft headstock holder. And the bag has a decent amount of crush resist. Only £54.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/protection-racket-7050-classic-electric-guitar-bag/5443

• RolandRoland Frets: 8864

My rule of thumb.  Gibson type = hard case.  Fender = gig bag.  Baseball bat necked tele's just chuck in the boot ;)
    Given the cost of gig bags I'd get a Thomann ABS case for a Fender, and a better case for a Gibson
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • If I found a tele in my boot I'd chuck it back out. :grin: 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom