Just had a brilliant business idea

What's Hot
jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
edited November 2016 in Guitar
i start a company relic'ing guitars at the same time that I start a hire company that rents expensive guitars to young gigging musicians on the cheap. 

The dea being that the relic process takes 6 months, so your custom shop whatever gets dragged round the toilet circuit by someone playing 5 band bills whose more used to a Pacifica. Then custom shop whatever comes back with scuffs, scratches & the kind of natural road worn patina that is almost impossible to achieve. The smell of cheap lager in the case interior Sir?  That'll  be a £30 up charge 

Its a win-win I reckon
5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ah, the smell factor indeed!  Back when people could smoke anywhere they wanted(they are severely limited now in Canada, anyway), I brought all my gear home after most of it had been either on a stage in a bar, in our band practice room or packed tightly in our band trailer with most of our gear for about 2 years.  The amp at the time was a 4X10 100 watt Yamaha and it smelled so bad of stale beer and cigarette smoke my "then wife" banned it from the house.  I was forced to sell it and the "smell relic" factor did not add to the value whatsoever.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4396
    jeztone2 said:
    i start a company relic'ing guitars at the same time that I start a hire company that rents expensive guitars to young gigging musicians on the cheap. 

The dea being that the relic process takes 6 months, so your custom shop whatever gets dragged round the toilet circuit by someone playing 5 band bills whose more used to a Pacifica. Then custom shop whatever comes back with scuffs, scratches & the kind of natural road worn patina that is almost impossible to achieve. The smell of cheap lager in the case interior Sir?  That'll  be a £30 up charge 

Its a win-win I reckon
    I'm pretty sure someone out there is actually already doing this.

I'm sure I read a while back about a company who will lend your instrument to gigging musicians who will 'age' it for you.

I'll see if I can find a link.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    edited November 2016
    My  64 Harmony Sovereign  spent years in London folk clubs .40 years later I decided to give  it a good clean and a thick brown crud came out of  the corners that still smelled of fags .I hant played it a lot after the 60's  as it is basically worn out  from heavy strings and a lot of bluegrass with deep cowboy chord furrows and frets .I actually found a NOS replacement fingerboard on ebay from the  original US Harmony factory but cant be bothered to fit it .Oh and the truss rod gradually rides out of the headstock and has to be whacked in .It still plays
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom