Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Someone talk me out of this....

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:
    If you want an MIM Tele get an early one, look for a 62 reissue, look for the serial number on the bridge, those were nice guitars worth hunting down. What were they early 80's?
    1987 onwards for Fender Mexico

Your right, its the early MIJ ones I'm thinking of.
    Do you mean the JV serial ones? They go for crazy money now - saw an early Jap JV at the Crewe show advertised at £1995...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I would doubt that a MIM Tele from 20 years ago would be better than your brand new Pacifica
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    thegummy said:
    I would doubt that a MIM Tele from 20 years ago would be better than your brand new Pacifica
    Ah I wasn't clear...both were bought used, the Pacifica is 10+ years old 
  • steersteer Frets: 1233
    I love my MIM tele. If you bought the yam and the tele secondhand at the going rate, then you will be able to sell them for pretty much the same price you paid. If you like it, then go for it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74485
    I would do it if you can get through the financial hit of buying one and selling two.

One good guitar is better than two average ones. Most players have too many average or good guitars instead of a smaller number of great ones. (I'm almost as guilty.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3757
    robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:
    If you want an MIM Tele get an early one, look for a 62 reissue, look for the serial number on the bridge, those were nice guitars worth hunting down. What were they early 80's?

Your right, its the early MIJ ones I'm thinking of.
    Do you mean the JV serial ones? They go for crazy money now - saw an early Jap JV at the Crewe show advertised at £1995...

Serials begin with A, made around 83? I was outbid at a local auction house a while back, lovely it was, CAR with white binding, I was outbid by 7 quid, it sold for 340,
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Ah they are different. The Original Japanese JVs with Fender logos go for serious wonga nowadays
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    Sporky said:
    £200 would get you a lot of lessons.

Lessons are good.
    £200 will also buy you lots of booze. Boozes are good.
    Or you could splash it on fx and then that's a whole new world!

There will always be Teles. You've got a good setup, better than anything I had in my first few years, and once you're up to speed you can reward yourself with a Tele and maybe even an American one.

'Better' guitars do not make you a better player. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4498
    DiscoStu said:
    Sporky said:
    £200 would get you a lot of lessons.

Lessons are good.
    £200 will also buy you lots of booze. Boozes are good.
    Or you could splash it on fx and then that's a whole new world!

There will always be Teles. You've got a good setup, better than anything I had in my first few years, and once you're up to speed you can reward yourself with a Tele and maybe even an American one.

'Better' guitars do not make you a better player. 
    ... They get you 'Wow's' on here :)

It's one of the main reasons I took up guitar ;)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1004
    ICBM said:
    I would do it if you can get through the financial hit of buying one and selling two.

One good guitar is better than two average ones. Most players have too many average or good guitars instead of a smaller number of great ones. (I'm almost as guilty.)
    This.  I really got back into playing again about six years ago and built up a collection of seven circa £500 guitars.   Last month I realised I was looking at an outlay of more than 3k then thought what two real quality guitars or amps I could have bought if I'd been patient 
  • As has been said, it's all about the time you put in on the instrument, and nice gear is a bonus.

do you want to be able to play, or do you want to own nice guitars? Nothing wrong with collecting, but it is nowhere near as satisfying as improving at playing imho

Obviously, great gear inspires you to play, but it sounds like your rig is decent enough to get cracking.

im in no position to judge as I am totally reckless when it comes to spending.

however, I've just set myself specific playing goals that will be the trigger for my next GAS target - a Gibson ES355

its working (so far)!

For you, it could be learning songs, it could be nailing some solos or getting good fretboard knowledge.

E.g 'when I know major and minor pentatonic in all positions and can play the solo to xxx i''ll treat myself'.

far more rewarding. I've found that if you have GAS, as soon as you get the thing that you were losing sleep over, another one emerges to take its place.

as I type this, I should be working on my dominant 7 arpeggios which is one of my targets.

anyway I echo what has been said about lessons. But you have to actually use what is being taught and practice it,

we are conditioned in the west to think that having the gear, or paying for lessons, subscribing to a teaching site etc are what counts, but the road to being a guitar player is a journey, not a destination. You have to put the time in.

sorry - that was very stream of consciousness. Now I'm off to browse the classifieds ;) 

bugger... I mean practice my arpeggios.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    Life is too short, do the trade......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    If you've always wanted a Tele, go for it.
    If you're playing what you perceive as 'compromise' guitars you'll never be satisfied and GAS will be intensified.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I'd stick with what you've got for now. The tele won't be the last guitar you buy, so why bother making it the next when you are already over budget.
  • cj73 said:
    ICBM said:

This.  I really got back into playing again about six years ago and built up a collection of seven circa £500 guitars.   Last month I realised I was looking at an outlay of more than 3k then thought what two real quality guitars or amps I could have bought if I'd been patient 
    I got into playing again around 4 years ago and have also got myself a few decent-ish guitars around the 500-700 mark and for me this is fine as I'm not a very good player at all, but have always just loved guitars as things of beauty. If I had blown big money on one high end instrument I'd certainly feel I couldn't justify it at my playing level, I'm old enough to know my limitations and that I will never be the next Stevie Ray, but I also enjoy having the guitars around, so although I'm far from a collector, I like a little variety and have bought and then flipped quite a few over the last few years whilst enjoying trying different stuff out.  Not too great on the wallet, admittedly, but fun .... and a man has to have a hobby.  Sometimes i wanna pick up a Tele.....other times I wanna pick up my Les Paul Studio.  Makes me happy to be able to do both, probably happier than if I owned a single top of the range LP or PRS or whatever.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    You don't have to be the world's best guitarist to want to play good guitars.
    You just need the cash.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    edited November 2016
    If it's only  £200 and you can afford it then go for it. I would say if it's a £2000 custom shop....then no. but again none of my business if you can afford it and it makes it you happy
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Thanks for all the input guys. I've decided to leave it, the GAS has abated in the cold light of day :)

I'm going to spend more time with both guitars I already have and decide which one I like the best.

I'll then move the other one on and then set some goals for improvement with a view to looking at upgrading at some point next year when I have a bit of a better idea at what I actually really want. 

Im thinking that by the middle of next year I should have c. £500 to play with which will open a lot more doors about what I could get, especially if I buy used again. 

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    Good decision imho @BRISTOL86, also spend some time learning how the controls interact with one another (both amp and guitar) and how to get particular sounds to cover certain songs from the gear you have. That knowledge along with playing ability will hold you in good stead in real world playing scenarios. In time you will start to develope 'your sound' and thereafter you will get something similar whatever the gear available. This is a good thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3757
    robgilmo said:

Ah, your right , its the early MIJ ones I'm thinking of.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.