Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Someone talk me out of this....

What's Hot
BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
A week ago I had a budget of £100 for a starter electric and amp .... 

You know the drill, a few trips to this forum and I now own an Ibanez SA series, a Pacifica 112 and a THR10C and spent 4x my budget ... this place should come with some kind of warning. 

Theres a '97 MIM tele with a bit of cosmetic damage locally that I think the seller would let go for a smidge over £200. 

I've wanted a Fender forever.....but really can't spend any more right now ... do I stick with what I've bought or replace it with the Tele? 

My head says leave it alone and focus on my learning rather than buying even more gear...but I'm a sucker when I think there's a good deal
to be had :joy: 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd leave. The GAS will pass soon enough! I bet you'll be able to find another for that sort of price fairly often.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I can't believe you're trying to talk me out of this  :angry: :wink:  

You're right though, I'm just terribly impulsive! If I spent half as much time practicing as I did looking at gear......! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    If you'd stuck to your budget you'd now have a crap guitar, a crap amp and a big disadvantage in trying to learn.  

By the sounds of it you now have gear that is up to the job so get on with it!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    £200 would get you a lot of lessons.

Lessons are good.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    mixolyd said:
    If you'd stuck to your budget you'd now have a crap guitar, a crap amp and a big disadvantage in trying to learn.  

By the sounds of it you now have gear that is up to the job so get on with it!
    Haha yeah, spot on. I have no regrets about what I bought! :) I'm especially smitten with the THR10C, amazing bit of kit!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Tell me where it is and I'll buy it thus removing it from temptation.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    £200 would get you a lot of lessons.

Lessons are good.
    Yeah, for sure. I took lessons for a few months but had to take a hiatus due to lots of working away and not getting enough time between lessons to work on what I was learning. 

I'm hoping to start again in the new year though I'm actually really enjoying the 'self learning' at home.

It's truly staggering how much quality content is out there for people these days compared with when I was a kid/teen and learning new hobbies etc. 
  • if another £200 won't leave you unable to pay your bills then knock yourself out.

if it were me I'd pass though. If you're just starting out focus on getting the best out of what you have. GAS isn't good and I've certainly been hit with it in the past. Avoid it as long as you possibly can because it's a slippery slope.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1917
    Don't go chasing decals on a headstock. It sounds like you have a good starting set up. Practice and save. Give yourself more time to know what you really need from a guitar.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016
    if another £200 won't leave you unable to pay your bills then knock yourself out.

if it were me I'd pass though. If you're just starting out focus on getting the best out of what you have. GAS isn't good and I've certainly been hit with it in the past. Avoid it as long as you possibly can because it's a slippery slope.
    Well just to be clear I'd likely be selling on the Ibanez and Pacifica if I did buy the Fender, so the money's already spent one way or another  

A better phrasing of the question is 'should I swap a Pacifica and an Ibanez SA360 for a MIM Tele' and £50 in cash!
    Sesh said:
    Don't go chasing decals on a headstock. It sounds like you have a good starting set up. Practice and save. Give yourself more time to know what you really need from a guitar.
    Yeah pretty much what my head is telling me! I kind of feel like I've made a mistake in buying two guitars though. They're both lovely but I feel like I've spent more time so far trying to figure out how and why they feel and sound different, and what I prefer, than actually playing. 

Not that it's a bad thing to have things to figure out of course! 
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Buying more gear won't make you a better player, lessons and practice will...

A colleague of mine at work took up the guitar last year. He asked for my advice frequentyly and ignored it every time. Consequently he now has a collection of sub £100 guitars...
    Then recently he decided he was going to learn the bass and blew £500 on a brand new bass and amp! Goodness knows what he's going to do with the guitars...
    We are all Chameleons...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Set goals. Find a moderately challenging song you really want to play, learn it, practice it - when you get that glowing feeling that you've learned something well and you feel proud then go out and blow some money on gear.

Rinse and repeat til you widdle like Guthrie/Bonamossa etc. and sell the house and buy a 59 burst.

ok maybe not the last bit - but motivation with goals really does work
  • You've come to the wrong place to get people to talk you out of buying something. I'm surprised at the positive response so far. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    You've come to the wrong place to get people to talk you out of buying something. I'm surprised at the positive response so far. 
    It's vicarious.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3757
    If you want an MIM Tele get an early one, look for a 62 reissue, look for the serial number on the bridge, those were nice guitars worth hunting down. What were they early 80's?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    robgilmo said:
    If you want an MIM Tele get an early one, look for a 62 reissue, look for the serial number on the bridge, those were nice guitars worth hunting down. What were they early 80's?
    1987 onwards for Fender Mexico
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    Get the Tele, then focus on the learning. Everything's easier with a Tele (actually that's not true, you have to work it to make a Tele sound good, but hey!).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016
    Set goals. Find a moderately challenging song you really want to play, learn it, practice it - when you get that glowing feeling that you've learned something well and you feel proud then go out and blow some money on gear.

Rinse and repeat til you widdle like Guthrie/Bonamossa etc. and sell the house and buy a 59 burst.

ok maybe not the last bit - but motivation with goals really does work
    That's what I'm doing at the moment, I started learning Bold As Love yesterday. I've only done the first two measures and it's already giving me a warm feeling  

The GAS has abated, I'm going to knuckle down and put my energy into playing and not shopping....for now
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3757
    robgilmo said:
    1987 onwards for Fender Mexico

Your right, its the early MIJ ones I'm thinking of.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.