Strat buzzes when I turn volume down

What's Hot
mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
Here's a weird one: the pickups are very quiet on my Strat when the volume is at 10 on the guitar, but as soon as I back off the volume  pot I get a noticeable hum/buzz. Worst around 9 then gets quieter as I reduce the volume further.

Any ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Electrical interference
    Happens when I'm near Lights with Dimmers (even on humbuckered guitars)

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Cabicular said:
    Electrical interference
    Happens when I'm near Lights with Dimmers (even on humbuckered guitars)

I wondered that but I don't get the problem with my other guitars.
  • They all do to a greater of lesser degree.

@ICBM explained why once - I'm not sure I could articulate it properly, so best wait for him to do it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2867
    But why higher at 9 than. 10?
  • sev112 said:
    IIRC (I'm trying to remember how @ICBM explained it) the 'hot' and 'ground' in a guitar lead both pick up noise - but with the volume turned up, they cancel each other out. When you turn the volume down, some of the 'hot' side is grounded, which means the noise induced into the cable becomes noticeable.

On mine, around 8 seems to be the worst.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Only happens if I let go of the strings.
  • sev112 said:
    IIRC (I'm trying to remember how @ICBM explained it) the 'hot' and 'ground' in a guitar lead both pick up noise - but with the volume turned up, they cancel each other out. When you turn the volume down, some of the 'hot' side is grounded, which means the noise induced into the cable becomes noticeable.

On mine, around 8 seems to be the worst.

I think it's something to do with Phasing of the noise, when you have volume up to 10, the amount of noise on the hot and ground is the same, and out of phase which then causes some noise to cancel out. When you turn the volume down, some noise from the hot is going to the ground, stopping the cancellation as the levels aren't balanced anymore. 

I've probably got something wrong, but I don't think I'm that far off. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73185
    edited November 2016
    It's because the impedance to ground is highest when the pot is at about 8 to 9, with a Log pot. When it's at 10 the comparatively lower impedance of the pickup(s) is in parallel, and when it's below about 8 the resistance of the pot to ground is lower.

The actual cause of the noise is poor shielding - usually because the wiring from the jack to the pot is plain unshielded wires. Try replacing this with shielded cable. Shielding the control and jack cavities will also help, if it's not done already.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM thanks, what's surprising is that it is a CS Strat, the cables are cloth wound and there is shielding on the back of the scratchplate.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Guitars, eh..?! Pfff...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73185
    mellowsun said:
    @ICBM thanks, what's surprising is that it is a CS Strat, the cables are cloth wound and there is shielding on the back of the scratchplate.
    Yes, but if it's a vintage-style one I bet the cable between the volume pot and the jack is also two separate cloth wires, and there's no shielding in the cavity floors/sides. This was always a big issue with original Fenders until the Jazzmaster.

You'll need to shield the cavities with conductive paint or copper tape (I find tape more effective, you can more easily solder a good ground contact to it and solder across all the joins to make a really good shield) and replace the cable to the jack for the best effect. I don't replace the rest of the wiring to the pickups, I find that changes the tone in a not-good way (controversial ;) ).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Ah great, excellent advice there, thanks ICBM, I'll get onto this.