Any ideas what my Strat Maybe Worth?

What's Hot
peteripeteri Frets: 1284
Hi

Wonder if you can help me - I may (only may) offload a Strat, likely not immediately - since we've been old friends, but struggling to see when I'll play it and I'm finding it hard to guess what it's worth.

It's a mid 90's red USA Standard Strat, maple board. I still have the hard case, it's a bit battered, with a small crack in it - but it functions (the case).

I've had the guitar from nearly new, it's a really nice one - fitted with Sperzel locking tuners stays in tune well - and is fitted with Fender Tex-Mex pickups.

Really low action, neck has been wire-wooled on the back to make it feel a bit better, body is really good condition

Just a really nice honest strat - no issues, and plays well.

I'm guessing this would be about £650-750 value, is that right?

I never thought I'd sell it -but since buying a 66 Strat, I don't think this will ever get played, so thinking about it.

Thanks for the price help!

Pete 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14866
    tFB Trader
    Hell of  lot of Strat Std's for sale and many fetching only 500-600 - on top of that new Strat Std with Custom Shop p/ups are now under 1K, so they will only command 700ish on a private sale, so again closer to £500 ish via the private channels
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    thanks

she's a keeper then, maybe a set of EMGs or something for fun

cheers!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited November 2016
    You can get decent usa strats for £500-550 and you say that your case is a bit battered but guitar tidy? ...methinks you'll maybe lucky to get £500 to be honest...Might be worth just hanging on to it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    TBH, these calls about 'decent' US Strats for £500-550... where, exactly?

I sold my '93 for £625 earlier this year, and I think I sold it too cheap as it was snapped up in under two hours on eBay. Just sayin'...

You might only get £500 on here... but thats because its a small catchment and the vast majority of folks on here barter hard.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4308
    edited November 2016
    I agree, you can pick 90's USA Std Strats up for £500 - £550 quite easily. eBay sold listings I am sure will confirm.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Hot rod it and have some fun. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    The vast majority on eBay are between £625 and £900... 

I guess these easily found cheap US Strats are available from the same place you can get a MIJ Jazzmaster for £400 and an AVRI for less than £1000....

Maybe the place is called:
    "Neverfound Guitar Store"
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4824
    edited November 2016
    impmann said:
    The vast majority on eBay are between £625 and £900... 
    Yup - but not much seems to be actually selling above £750 & more than a few have been re-listed.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • eBay sold listings range from 4-700, the latter being a recent minter in a rare colour with the chunky new case.

i have the perception that 90s standards are not really sought after so 500 sounds about right. eBay sales of course will lose 10-15% in fees.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2047
    edited November 2016
    impmann said:

Maybe the place is called:
    "Neverfound Guitar Store"
    All you have to do is search completed sales on eBay.  There's eight sold <£600.  A few <£700.  And a couple of Mary Kayes £850-£950.  It only takes 30 seconds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4222
    edited November 2016
    It all comes down to what someone is prepared to pay for a US Strat these days, the market really is dead, if someone offered £450 , I'd snap their arm off tbh. I would be inclined to keep it and just play the hell out of it 
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    eBay sold listings range from 4-700, the latter being a recent minter in a rare colour with the chunky new case.

i have the perception that 90s standards are not really sought after so 500 sounds about right. eBay sales of course will lose 10-15% in fees.

They're not....bodies have squarer edges ie not original body contour, 2 string trees, and no fretboard edge rolling...the there's the swimming pool route as well...which may not be seen as a big deal to some. In the early 2000s with the American Series and then Standards as they went back to they became slightly better guitars. And the cases where also nicer.