Cornford Roadhouse 30 speaker swap problem

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• camfcamf Frets: 1203
    >:D<
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Except I still don't know how to get into the bl**dy thing!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    ICBM said:
    It's got to be worth a try if you have it, anyway. I don't think it sounds like a Greenback, but that's beside the point really.
    Yeah I think it sounds in the ballpark, but it doesn't sound exactly the same either (especially noticeable if you A/B them next to each other). the gb128 is a bit more modern-sounding- cleaner/clearer, tighter bass, more extended treble I think. Maybe a little more "eminence"-sounding, too (you know what I mean).

I'm not sure I'd say either is better... for some things I prefer a greenback, for some the gb128. If you want a greenback, get a greenback (wattage allowing of course). But the GB128 might be a bit more versatile.

FWIW I really like the v12 which you hate, I thought it sounded the best out of everything I tried with my jet city :))
    I think that Vintage 30s sound great with some amps, but IMHO far better in a closed-back cab than an open-backed combo... but these things are always pretty subjective. And my ears have definitely suffered from years of sonic abuse, so I can only go with what feels right for me and hope that other partially deaf people enjoy my tone. :) 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    edited January 2014
    No question that V30s sound much better with some amps than others, and some they really don't suit at all - usually those which already have an upper-mid characteristic, which the speaker turns into harshness. They work perfectly with heavier-sounding amps like Rectifiers, obviously. I also agree that they don't sound best in small, front-loaded open-back 1x12"s - better in a 2x12" or 4x12" with at least a semi-closed back and preferably rear-loaded. So not an ideal choice for the Roadhouse at all really! But so many manufacturers seem to have only heard of one speaker… either that or they think their customers have. They even stuck one in the little Harlequin, which is even worse.

I very much doubt there is any speaker which is perfect for all amps, actually. Even if we all agreed on what type of tone is best!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

It's so going to be the Gold, isn't it. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    camf said:
    It's so going to be the Gold, isn't it. 
    Probably, if it's the most hassle :).

In fairness you should try it in the cab first, then try the Eminence in the cab. I could be wrong ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    ICBM said:
    No question that V30s sound much better with some amps than others, and some they really don't suit at all - usually those which already have an upper-mid characteristic, which the speaker turns into harshness. They work perfectly with heavier-sounding amps like Rectifiers, obviously. I also agree that they don't sound best in small, front-loaded open-back 1x12"s - better in a 2x12" or 4x12" with at least a semi-closed back and preferably rear-loaded. So not an ideal choice for the Roadhouse at all really! But so many manufacturers seem to have only heard of one speaker… either that or they think their customers have. They even stuck one in the little Harlequin, which is even worse.

I very much doubt there is any speaker which is perfect for all amps, actually. Even if we all agreed on what type of tone is best!
    Agreed about the overuse of the V30. Funnily enough I really liked the hurricane (also v30), but I wasn't as fussed on the carrera.

Also agreed about a panacea speaker- I mean I only have a handful of amps here, and even with that number, I tend to have a favourite speaker (or combination of speakers) for each one. Or for different tones even if I like multiple speakers with the one amp.
    Thanks for all the input... Much appreciated. :)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Yes, I'd listened to these before... interesting comparatively but it's still hard to really get a clear idea of how they all sound in an amp. It's always part of the risk/fun of trying out different speakers.