"Sticky" necks

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17004

I don't believe the Gibson sticky residue issue is due to rushing the finish...  I do believe its an actual fault.  Its not one that affects most Gibsons.  I suspect a bad/lazy mix rather than a rush job. 

For the ones that feel sticky when new, get better in a few months/years, and don't have any gummy residue...  I reckon the finish has simply sunk into the grain a bit so you no longer have the super smoother finish it left the factory with.  this will always feel less sticky.  Its not a fault, its just nitro doing what it does.

part of the nature of Nitro that it continues to cure long after its dry, but it is usually 98% done by the time it leaves the factory.   The speed of change can be affected by thickness, additives, stains, case adhesives, age of lacquer etc.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    WezV said:

I don't believe the Gibson sticky residue issue is due to rushing the finish...  I do believe its an actual fault.  Its not one that affects most Gibsons.  I suspect a bad/lazy mix rather than a rush job. 

For the ones that feel sticky when new, get better in a few months/years, and don't have any gummy residue...  I reckon the finish has simply sunk into the grain a bit so you no longer have the super smoother finish it left the factory with.  this will always feel less sticky.  Its not a fault, its just nitro doing what it does.

part of the nature of Nitro that it continues to cure long after its dry, but it is usually 98% done by the time it leaves the factory.   The speed of change can be affected by thickness, additives, stains, case adhesives, age of lacquer etc.  

Like I say, my SG has alway had a sticky neck. Also after playing it at a gig, you can see sweat lines where my hands have been - gross, but hey most of us are adults...

It hasn't got better in the 11 years I've owned and gigged it - I played it last night and the neck still feels a bit claggy but the rest of the guitar is so epic, I've learned to live with it and just enjoy it without getting hung up about it. One day I may experiment with some micromesh pads on the finish but I don't want to bugger it up, so til then...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Just play it off? That's what I tend to do. It's almost part of bonding with the guitar for me, like oiling your new cricket bat but in reverse.
    I'm so old!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32040
    ennspek said:
    Just play it off? That's what I tend to do. It's almost part of bonding with the guitar for me, like oiling your new cricket bat but in reverse.
    I'm so old!
    I'm 200 sweaty gigs in, how long do I have to wait? ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17004
    ennspek said:
    I'm so old!
    its not always that simple.  My uncle had a 80's guild acoustic which was the worst I have ever seen... practically like black tar smears up the neck.

That doesn't come from rushing the lacquer or buffing it till its super shiny.  it comes from a dodgy reaction in the lacquer, either a bad batch or bad storage
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    p90fool said:
    ennspek said:
    I'm so old!
    I'm 200 sweaty gigs in, how long do I have to wait? ;)
    +1 about the same with my SG.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I have it with my CS Strat, so apparently not an issue exclusive to Gibson. Like P90 says, a couple of occasional strokes with a green kitchen scourer does the trick.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    A bit of baby powder rubbed up and down helps for a while
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Image result for chalk bags for climbing

Have one of these rock climber's chalk bags strapped to your belt or even to your guitar strap.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    I agree with Wez, my Les Paul neck was perfectly finished and was like trying to slide your hand down a pane of glass.

I just scrub it for a few seconds with a kitchen scourer every few months. There's no need to go nuts and remove the finish, though I imagine it'll wear through eventually.
    Yep I've done this, prob time for a fresh scrub........
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.

• Cabicular said:
    A bit of baby powder rubbed up and down helps for a while
    But what about the guitar neck?  ;)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Clean it properly. Then leave on a stand for 6 months. Worked on my Strat, which was not that bad. Sold two Gibson for this issue. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14866
    edited November 2016 tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    ennspek said:
    I'm so old!
    I'm 200 sweaty gigs in, how long do I have to wait?
    if it has done 200 sweaty gigs than I refer back to my comments earlier - touch of cutting compound polish after a quick wipe of 2/3 strokes with scotchbrite or similar to remove stale sweat and grime - might have to repeat every few weeks
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2820
    impmann said:
    WezV said:

Like I say, my SG has alway had a sticky neck. Also after playing it at a gig, you can see sweat lines where my hands have been - gross, but hey most of us are adults...

It hasn't got better in the 11 years I've owned and gigged it - I played it last night and the neck still feels a bit claggy but the rest of the guitar is so epic, I've learned to live with it and just enjoy it without getting hung up about it. One day I may experiment with some micromesh pads on the finish but I don't want to bugger it up, so til then...
    This is where I'm at I think.  I have an awesome guitar and I'm willing to get used to this idiosincrancy.   At the same time, and once I've fully accepted that this guitar will always be with me, I might at some stage try and get rid of it with micro mesh/sanding etc. Although I'm willing to just play it to help it go away, in fact happy about this, if its a case of "wearing it in" like a good pair of jeans. 

Having said that, given that most guitars don't seem to suffer from this problem I think its probably avoidable and therefore a poor reflection on manufacturers who allow guitars to go out like this when they don't need to.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Someone mention Carnauba wax earlier.

I've used quality car waxes and polishes on my guitars before with excellent results, so continuing with the car theme I recon claying the surface might help (loads of google help available), use something like a Bilt Hamber clay which works with water would be easiest.

Clay the surface then polish and wax, that might help it.